Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Experiment Going on...


Potstickers(Pan-fried dumplings) I made last night

For the last couple of months, I’ve been working, on and off, on making potstickers with real nice crispy bottom. I mean, not just crispy. I want to make them with what they call hane (wing) here in Japan.

The photo above shows the best I can do at this point, and
THIS (see the photo of potstickers) is the kind of hane I want. I know how to make it… you mix starch with water and pour some into the frying pan when the dumplings are almost done, and heat until the water evaporates. But I can never make the hane as big as the one shown in the site linked above. Hmmmm…. What could be their secret? Could they be using flour instead of potato starch? Or both? Do they use more oil for frying? Hence my experiment goes on …

I wonder if we (Japanese) are the only folks who make big fuss about making potstickers with hane. It’s worth the fuss, though. The crunchiness of that kind of potstickers is almost addictive…. so great with beer!!!

0 comments: