Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Recent Japanese Entries

The rain and wind is getting worse outside. The typhoon TOKAGE is supposed to hit us this afternoon, and I'm waiting for a call or an email from the office telling me "NO WORK TODAY." In the meantime, I'm going to post some Japanese dishes I made recently. After I bake/cook something fatty or very sweet, I usually rest my stomach with our traditional meals.


This was my supper last night.


The fish is Kamasu (red barracuda). The sticky-looking thing in the bowl is grated Chinese yam seasoned with dashi and soy sauce. We pour this over rice to eat. Supposed to be very nutritious.

Mixing...

poured over rice



Daikon simmered with yellowtail.


I usually use ara (part of the fish that are usually thrown away, like head and bones. Cheaper and tastier.)



Satoimo (Japanese taro or aroid?) simmered with ground meat (beef and pork).


I used the ground meat to clean the freezer, but it made the whole thing too greasy. I definitely should have used ground chicken.

....... No phone call/email yet. Am I going to have to ride a bicycle in this rain and wind?!!???

4 comments:

ting-aling said...

Obachan, tell me about your bike ride..did you have to go to work?

obachan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
obachan said...

My daytime work was cancelled, so I didn't have to ride my bike in the storm. Phew!! I stayed at home all afternoon drawing shiitake mushrooms to kill time. I had to work at night, though. :(

obachan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.