Thursday, October 28, 2004

Sake-Steamed Asari (Asari no Sakamushi)


Asari no sakamushi

I’m not sure what their English name is (maybe littleneck clams?), but we call them Asari in Japanese.

This is what I had for supper tonight, and here’s the recipe, if anyone is interested.

Sake-Steamed Asari
Asari clams (amount…. See the photo. Sorry, I forgot to weigh them)
1 1/2 Tblsp sake
a pinch salt
a little minced scallion
(a pinch minced ginger ---- optional)
(a pinch minced garlic ---- optional)
(a little soy sauce ----- optional)
(a dash white pepper ---- optional)


Wow… aggressive!?

Soak Asari in salt water for several hours (I did overnight) to remove sand. Wash and put in frying pan set on medium heat. (Add minced ginger and garlic with a little water, if desired.) Cover with a lid. When some start opening (you can hear), add sake and salt (pepper and soy sauce, if desired). Cover again. When all Asari opened, sprinkle minced scallion and serve immediately.
I squeeze lemon or sudachi over Asari just before eating.

Many recipes on the net seem to use minced ginger & garlic and soy sauce, but I personally like the simpler seasoning when using fresh Asari and good Sake.


I guess you can add sake right after you put Asari in frying pan, if you like it that way. I wait until some of them start opening just because my mom told me so, and don't know why it's necessary. (Maybe she doesn't, either.) :P

If you like it in a Western style, use wine instead of sake and add some butter, then sprinkle minced parsley instead of scallion.

2 comments:

The Author said...

this sounds and looks delicious, we're having Asari Vongole tonight, basically the same kind of recipe with white wine and Spaghetti pasta. Near our house in France is a road on the sea bed that is uncovered when the tide goes out (it is called a "Gois"), and we can dig for clams and cockles. That is what we are eating tonight, clams we dug for ourselves!

Your blog about food is great, and has inspired me to do the same kind of thing, starting maybe tomorrow when I can get some photographs together. The food in France is so wonderful that it deserves to be written about. Thanks. Chris.

obachan said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your comment. I know how wonderful it feels to eat the shellfish you dug yourselves. Isn't it such a blessing? The clams in these photos were bought at the store and originally imported from Korea, iirc. In my hometown, where my parents live, we can get this kind of clams (scroll down) and we love to dig them.

I'm so happy to hear that you are starting a foodblog. I shouldn't speak for everyone, but for me, foodblogging added extra importance to the foods I just took for granted, which really made my life richer. Good luck and enjoy blogging! :D