Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A La Provancale??


Horse Mackerel A La Provancale???


Honestly speaking, I don’t know exactly what the word “a la Provancale” means. Now I often see, in Japanese cookbooks/websites, dishes named with Japanese translation of “a la Provancale” at the end. From their recipes, I assumed that "a la Provancale" meant a dish with garlic, olive oil and tomatoes. Is this wrong?

Anyway, what I tried out this time was named “horse mackerel a la Provancale” in Japanese. The horse mackerel fillets were salt-and-peppered and breaded (I mixed in chopped basil leaves in the bread crumbs), then fried in a frying pan. I made the tomato sauce with canned tomatoes.

What I really wanted to do was baking the breaded mackerel fillets in the oven with the tomato sauce and grated cheese on top, but unfortunately I had no cheese left.
Maybe next time ;P

I don't know if this is an appropriate combination, but I thought that it would have been really nice with garlic bread and vichyssoise.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Obachansan

You could be right about the "ala provencal" because most of the cuisine from that part of France inevitably contain garlic, olive oil and herbs.

You pic looks lovely (as always). 

Posted by Nini

Nini said...

Sorry! didn't mean to publish my comment anonymously! -Nini

Anonymous said...

Hi, Obachan! I have the answer for you and you were pretty much right. "A la Provencale" means after the style made popular in the Provence region of France, or cooked with garlic, onion, mushrooms, tomato, olive oil, and herbs. I think the operative words are "cooked with". 

Posted by Annie

Anonymous said...

is it some sort of friend omelette ? 

Posted by Patrick Leong

Anonymous said...

oppsss...i mean fried omelette .. 

Posted by Patrick Leong

Anonymous said...

> Nini --- Thanks! I wish I could visit Provence someday. Your comment wasn't anonymous :)

> Annie --- Thanks for your information :D So onion and mushrooms are included, too? The combination of tomato, olive oil and garlic always sounds Italian to me, but I guess Provencale is a little different.

> Patrick --- Yeah, I put my friend, fish fish in the omelette and that’s why the dish was a great success… ;P Kidding.
Anyway, this is not omelette…it’s basically pan-fried fish. 

Posted by obachan