Monday, July 25, 2005

Ruby Red Grapefruit & Cottage Cheese Salad


Ruby Red Grapefruit and Cottage Cheese Salad

Boy, it’s hot…..!!
I hate coming back to my room which I won’t hesitate to call “the most unpleasant sauna on the face of the earth.” The stress I feel the moment I open the door must be affecting my mental health in a very negative way. To cope with it, I guess I need to feed myself with something refreshing and nutritious.

So here it is. Ruby Red Grapefruit and Cottage Cheese Salad. For the dressing, I mixed juice of the ruby red grapefruit, olive oil and yogurt, then seasoned with a little sugar and herb salt. This idea was, again, from a Japanese website, but I didn’t follow the recipe, as usual. (I almost doubled the amount of the grapefruit juice.)

Yes, the salad was very light-tasting and refreshing. I liked the way the dressing complemented the taste of cottage cheese. I finished one bowl real quick and wanted more.

Oh well, why not? This is one of those GUILT-FREE dishes, isn't it?
: )

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

obachan;
What a perfect hot weather dinner. The salad seems so refreshing..... I've done a similar salad with peaches or pears. A simple, yet tasty dressing is to simply mix some peach or pear juice ( whatever you use) and mix with a small amount of mayonnaise and a touch of sugar ( to taste) and a bit of lemon juice. Its simple, but perfect with this type of salad with cottage cheese. 

Posted by Carlyn

Anonymous said...

I love cottage cheese, but I must be the only person who does not like it with fruit. If you are in the mood for a cool refreshing savory cottage cheese salad, try cottage cheese, green pepper and tomato with a bit of salt and pepper. Sometime I throw in celery and, when I am really daring, I top it with some salsa.  

Posted by holly

Anonymous said...

> carlyn --- Oh, this sounds absolutely yummicious! I must give it a try as soon as I find some good peaches on sale. Thanks for the idea!!

> holly --- Ah, cottage cheese and salsa! That sounds good, too. Talking about salsa... when was the last time I had a Mexican dinner? Hmmm...maybe it's about time... 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Nice combination .. Obachan..! i love it.. and am gonna try it.. :) very hot here too..!! unbearable..!!
btw.. i posted rhubarb jams for you .. on my blog. ;) feel free to drop in.. ;)  

Posted by Big BoK

Anonymous said...

hi obachan,
off the topic of cottage cheese, which i despise as it remindes me all too much of certain body parts (just kiddin', uh well, sort of), but on the topic of summer refreshment, i've been whipping up my homemade infused vodkas. if you have some of the stuff lying around it's so easy to make and i'll bet you could do something with yuzu or a cucumber shiso blend. hmmm. i just posted an entry on my blog about these little tasty morsels of debauchery so come by and check it out if you get a chance.
rae. 

Posted by rae

Anonymous said...

Hi rae,
I’m definitely going to try shiso. Boy it sounds like so much fun! Gee, I wish I had some good looking bottles like yours… 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

food! food! food! ugh!

im starving now! 

Posted by Zaira

Anonymous said...

eat! eat! eat! Zaira! Grab something to munch on :D
 

Posted by obachan