Sunday, October 16, 2005

Poached Pears


Poached Pears

Today I found an European pear, La France on sale. The price was down to 1/5 of the original price because the pear had a big bruise almost turning brown, and the rest was rock-hard. Usually I never buy this kind of pear no matter how cheap it is, because I can't stand a rock-hard pear, but this time was different. I knew it was a perfect chance to try out the recipe I saw on crystal’s site. So I bought the half-rotten pear and a cup of vanilla ice cream and hurried home (I mean, my apartment).

This was easy to make and tasted so heavenly, even though I accidentally added a few drops of almond essence before I realized the mistake and added more than enough vanilla extract. (They were in very similar bottles and I didn't bother to read the labels.) :P

Mmmmmm….. I’m speechless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obachan, this looks so delicate, I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks... (I'm sure the almond extract worked well too ;)) I can't wait to try pear recipes, they are everywhere now!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Your pears look awesome. I have to tell you, I met a Japanese guest that's staying at the bed and breakfast that I cook for, and she brought me a bag of something called "Corn Chocolate" as a thank you for a cooking lesson that I gave her. Have you ever heard of this stuff? I tasted it, and it's kind of like white-chocolate-covered-popcorn-cereal-stuff. It's pretty good!

obachan said...

Sara
Yep, I love it. I wonder what it’s like to live in a very expensive neighborhood, because I’ve never been in one myself. But I guess whatever you feel at the supermarket, you are on top of the world the moment you put a heavenly tasting food – like this poached pears with ice cream – in your mouth, and no one can take away the joy from you! :D

keiko
The first photo I saw on your site was the one of 3 poached pears. I still clearly remember the shock I felt when I saw it. It was amazing that peeled pears can look that gorgeous in a photo. I can tell how excited you are about trying pear recipes. Good luck!

crystal
Thanks for visiting, and thanks for sharing that recipe! When I was in the States I really loved American pears, and I miss them so much here in Japan. I was happy when they started selling La France here, but looks like it’s the type that needs to be ripened till they turn yellowish. And what’s annoying is sometimes I get ones that are rock-hard even after they turn yellow (and expensive!). But with this recipe, no more fears! ;)
I think I’ve tried the chocolate thing that you mentioned, though I’m not sure how it was called. Yeah, I like it, too.

obachan said...

Hi glutton rabbit,
This was really yummy. I'm so happy that I found this recipe.