Saturday, October 21, 2006

Apple Pork Chop and Rosemary Potatoes


Apple Pork Chop with Maple-mustard Glaze and Rosemary Potatoes

This is what I made yesterday. And, Yes! I used the French seasonings that LPC sent me from Paris the other day! :D


I used the mustard for the glaze, and sprinkled the lovely finishing salt all over the potatoes. The above photo doesn't show it much, but I did pour the mustard glaze into the prying pan and glazed the pork.


I pre-boiled the potatoes and then oven-baked them, but couldn't wait until they turn brown...

Everything was so great, especially the mustard glaze. It was just a mixture of the pink mustard, maple syrup, sugar and vinegar, but it was oh so good.
The only thing was that the meat was rather tough... Well, next time I'll buy more expensive meat. The mustard glaze is definitely worth it.
;)

Categories:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks so delicious!

Unknown said...

thanks for this obachan!
i want to use apples in something other than sweets and this is perfect.
now i have to hunt for that lovely pink mustard....

Unknown said...

What a lovely way to use your French care package! Looks delicious!

ghanima said...

Looks amazing, obachan! Also, I don't know if this is helpful to you or not, but my father makes the tenderizing pork ribs I've ever eaten by boiling the meat first, then oven-roasting it.

FooDcrazEE said...

yummy - pass some over obachan

obachan said...

K & S
Thank you :)

drstel
Oh, so nice to hear from you. Yeah, I liked the apple + pork + mustard combination very much.
Good luck!

lannae
The care package is so inspiring. It's really wonderful to receive food stuff from a foreign country!
:D

ghanima
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe what works for the ribs works for shoulder pork chops?

foodcrazee
Oh, sorry! It's gone now. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan!

Maybe you could tenderise the meat first by whacking it with a tenderise or the back of a knife? That's what my mom does when she makes pork chops.

Anyway, everything looks so delicious as always! Yum!! :)

obachan said...

Hi Lysithea!
Yeah, that sounds good, too. I think a little preparation like that makes a notable difference. Thanks.

Chubbypanda said...

That meal looks delicious. An excellent use of those ingredients.

- Chubbypanda

obachan said...

Thank you, chubbypanda :)

Anonymous said...

Another way to get super-tender pork-chops is to brine them: put them in some very salty water (2tbsp of salt per litre), adding some spices is nice too: cloves, juniper, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, anything really. Leave for 1h, then dry off and cook as normal. You can brine them overnight but then they're on the way to becoming bacon - quite nice if you like that sort of thing.

obachan said...

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I've heard about brining chicken or turkey. So it works for pork, too? OK. Next time I’ll give it a try. (It doesn’t make the pork-chop too salty or anything, right?)