Friday, November 17, 2006

Obachan's Fish Curry


Fish Curry - Obachan's Version -

This is what I improvised today: Fish curry with horse mackerel and eggplants. I just wanted to use some – maybe half -- of the frozen horse mackerel fillets sitting in my freezer. In a sense, those fish fillets are the evidence of how often I got frustrated in the last couple of months. (You know that I gut /fillet fish when I get frustrated … or bake sweets.) Anyway, I felt like trying something I’ve never tried before with the fillets, so when I saw a photo of Thai fish curry on the net, I told myself, “Yeah, this is it!”

But I didn’t follow the recipe at all… I only had about 1/3 of the ingredients that was called for. So this fish curry was just the mixture of all I could find in my kitchen: horse mackerel, eggplants, tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, chili pepper, cumin, curry powder mix, salt& pepper, chicken stock, and coconut milk. I did find fish sauce in my fridge, but its expiration date was… no, I can’t tell this to the world.

So I don’t think this deserves a name “Thai curry.” People in Thailand would probably get mad at me. This is obachan’s stress-induced fish curry. That’s what it is. :P But to my surprise, it wasn't bad at all. I might try this dish once in a while… to prevent my freezer from being fully occupied with frozen fish fillets.

-----
WARNING! Obachan’s another ill-thought project is going to take place this weekend. Be very afraid ;)


Categories:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I am imagining a fridge full of fishes...

You're so cute obachan!

At least it won't be a fridge full of expensive designer clothes or something...

Anywayz, the fish look exactly like how my mom would have cooked it except it'll be a lot more spicy :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Waow, I'd love to have so many fishes in my freezer!

This curry looks very fine, no matter if it is not a traditional Thai curry!

I'm looking forwards to what you are going to come up with this weekend...

ghanima said...

It sounds like you got all the crucial ingredients, any way. It looks delicious!f

obachan said...

pinkity
I’d rather have a fridge full of money, ha-ha-ha…
Your mom’s fish curry must be so tasty. I wish I could taste it ;)

Rosa
I wonder what kind of fish is popular over there.

ghanima
I wished I had nampla, at least. It would have made a huge difference, you know.