Thursday, August 28, 2008

Onion Zucchini Bread


Savory Onion Zucchini Bread with Nutritional Yeast

Baking zucchini bread (at least once) has been one of my summer rituals for years. And ever since a nice reader mentioned it in her (his?) comment, I had been thinking about using buttermilk for this quick bread. Of course I cannot buy real buttermilk at regular supermarkets around here, but I can try a substitute idea of mixing vinegar with milk or soy milk. So, I thought it was worth trying, and I actually gave it a go the other day.

At first I was going to make a sweet version, because the advice of using buttermilk was given to help my strive for a sweet zucchini bread like the one I first had in the U.S. But while I was googling with the key words: "zucchini bread" and "buttermilk," I bumped into this onion zucchini bread recipe, and a crazy idea (again!) popped into my mind -- "What if I make this bread with some nutritional yeast to add a cheese-like flavor?" Then, as usual, the curiosity drove me into an experiment.



The result was not bad. Maybe I can say "satisfactory," though I didn't notice any zucchini taste almost at all. Maybe that's the way zucchini bread usually is, either savory or sweet? The funny thing was that the moment I took a bite, I thought, "Gosh I've got to eat some sausage with this!" ... Sausage, or bacon, or ham. So the next time I make this savory quick bread, I'd probably mix in chopped sausages or bacon.

And I still need to do another experiment of using buttermilk (substitute) for sweet zucchini bread. ;P

------
Actually I baked this bread a couple of weeks ago... before Yosakoi festival. I took these photos then, but before I finished a write-up, I got busy with the festival, then visited my parents, and a terrible work shift was waiting for me when I got back... And as if it was not terrible enough -- or could be because things got so stressful -- I developed hives last Saturday night. Boy I was scared! I'd never had hives before, and you know how terrible the wheals (welts) look? When they spread all over my legs and back, I thought I was going to die. :O Fortunately it wasn't anything serious and the itchy wheals were gone a few hours after I went to the hospital on Monday and took antihistamine pills. Just like that.

So today, since I don't have to work in the daytime, I thought about going to a nearby park or cook/baking something special so that I can post about it. But I guess I'm going to take it easy in front of my laptop, nibbling on something.


Categories:

12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delicious! A great combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

K and S said...

sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear abt yr hives.

just a girl.. said...

mmmm savory breads are great - one of my favorites is corn bread with onions and cheese. Zucchini, onion, and cheese sounds great too! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan! I LOVE Zucch. bread!! Sometimes when I don't have buttermilk, I just use milk with lemon juice....personally, I find using vinegar to be too acidic.

Anonymous said...

PS - I just looked at that recipe you used...the reason why you didn't taste good zucchini flavor is because....the recipe doesn't have enough zucchini!! Good zucch bread will usually take about a cup of shredded zucchini per cup of flour....so 2 C. flour needs 2 C. Zucch~~ You can try to add more next time, I bet it will be even better~! ^^

Anonymous said...

Last summer I had super hives too! Went to the ER at least 2 times... I'm glad your hives disappeared. It's a mystery to me, because this summer I did get it at all. It's so good to be healthy...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Oh what a nice way to use zucchini. I have not thought about savory quick breads before, but now I will. I also have extra zucchini to use too.

Dewi said...

Oh dear,
I'm so glad that nothing is serious happen to you. I hope that you are feeling well soon.
About Zuke bread, I think your idea about going to incorporate bacon/sausage might turn well. I never made Zuke bread before, I might try it one day. Anyway, I enjoy reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey Obachan!
It's been a long time! Been busy for awhile but I got a chance to look in your blog after the summer's over. Our zucchinis growing like crazy in dad's garden and my mom's been making so many zucch bread too. Will try your recipe! BTW, mom's heading to Uwajima in 2 weeks for her high school reunion!

obachan said...

Rosa
Thanks. :)

K & S
It was OK (but I'll add more twists when I make this next time.)

Vb
Oh, thanks for your caring comment. I can never forget how I was scared the first night.

Rowr
I love corn bread, too! These days I don't care for sweets for breakfast as much as I used to -- (getting older?) -- and I really want to expand my savory quick breads/muffins repertoire.

Gabriel
Mmmm.. maybe lemon juice gives more refreshing taste?
Now that you say that... yeah, this is not the typical amount of zucchini, I guess. I'll use more next time.

Anonymous commenter
The doctor I went to and the websites I read about hives said that the cause of hives cannot be specified most of the time. (The doctor was pretty sure that it was not related to the mackerel I ate the day before, though.)

I agree. It's great to be healthy. :)

Lannae
I my case, savory quick breads added much to my humble meal repertoire. And it's nice that most of them freeze well. When I'm busy or too tired, I can microwave them and eat with instant soup.

Elra
Thank you. It took only 2 tablets of antihistamine pills. I'm totally fine now -- just like it never happened. Isn't it funny? ;)

Hope you like your zuke bread when you give it a try.

Cocogirl
I hope you like the zuke bread.
So your mom is going to be in Uwajima soon. How exciting! Hope she will bring you a lot of souvenirs. ;)