Sunday, September 07, 2008

Homemade Pizza!


Homemade Pizza

Gee, I'm totally, completely stuffed! No more food, please...
Yep, this was my very first time making pizza crust from scratch. This weekend I had both Saturday and Sunday off (which was almost like a miracle), and I wanted to make something tasty and photogenic but not too difficult or time-consuming to make. It was hard to pick one; I couldn't decide whether I should go for homemade gyoza (Chinese dumplings or potstickers) or pizza. So I ended up making both. :D Last night I enjoyed juicy, plump homemade gyoza with ice cold beer, and knew it was a right choice.



And today, around 10:30 am, I started making pizza crust based on this recipe.
Now, I guess I made a mistake when I measured the water... My pizza dough turned out really soft. I kept adding more and more flour but the dough kept absorbing it until I added almost twice as much as the amount called for in the recipe.

But finally the dough came together, and after letting it rest as instructed in the recipe, I had fun topping it.


These basil leaves survived the terrible summer heat.



Black olive is not my favorite topping, but I added some because I thought the dark color would look nice on my pizza.

One good thing about pizza is that I can rely on store-bought stuff for seasoning it. I used Heinz pizza sauce (can) and very affordable shredded mozzarella cheese.



Tata~! :D
This is how my very first homemade pizza turned out! I know. I should have used bigger basil leaves or should have added them later. The small leaves burned and shrunk pretty soon, so I needed to add more leaves when the cheese started turning golden brown.

The crust was really fluffy. I don't know if it is the way this pizza crust should be or it was because of my mistake, but this crust was the fluffiest one I've ever had. (Next time I want to make it a little heavier and chewier. ) Maybe because the dough was fluffy and light, and the topping was not too greasy, I ate so much of this pizza before I knew. I was going to leave half of it for dinner, but now I see only a quarter piece left in the pan. Hahaha...

Now it's time for peach sorbet! :D


Categories:

9 comments:

Akuma said...

Ack! Really? I can't believe it! I bought myself gyoza ingredients a few days ago and planned on making them tomorrow! Coincedences. But enough ranting, lovely lovely pizza. :P

Anonymous said...

Your homemade pizza looks so yummy!

If you want your pizza dough a little more chewy, perhaps you should knead it longer before you let it rise to encourage gluten to form. Or substitute some bread flour instead of all-purpose?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your Pizza looks gorgeous and extremely scrumptions! You did a great job!

Cheers,

Rosa

K and S said...

looks delicious, way to go!

Marie said...

Looks very pretty. I've been wanting to try making pizza at home, too, except baby steps with a storebought dough. Don't know why I'm hesitating so much, I should just take the plunge!

Anonymous said...

The photographs look awesome! But I really hate olives actually haha...well thats ok, at least it looks nice!

Anonymous said...

Any tips on how to make nice, plump gyoza? Mine usually look fine before I fry and steam them, afterwards they look somewhat ... wobbly and shrunken.
Can you save my tasty, yet ugly gyoza? Pretty please?

obachan said...

Akuma
Yeah, what a coincidence. :) Hope you enjoyed your gyoza.

Ami
I guess bread flour is a good idea. I'll try that next time. Thanks.

Rosa
Oh, thank you.

K & S
Thanks. BTW, your posts about Okinawa visit are really gorgeous. They make me feel like leaving my jobs right away and jumping on a bus (to go to the airport). 

Marie
Go for it! A little risk-taking may spice up your life. ;)

Gabriel
Being a foodblogger, there are times that you have to choose between being a photographer or a foodie, you know. ;)

Cara
Woops! I thought my gyoza was nice and plump but now I'm not that confident any more...

It's hard to give someone an advice without actually seeing the ingredients and the procedure.

Most Japanese recipes tell you to preheat (either by blanching or stir-frying) the vegetables to remove some moisture beforehand so that they don't shrink too much while the gyoza is being cooked. But the other day I read that you shouldn't do that if you want your gyoza to be juicy and plump. Confusing, isn't it? Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for answering! I'm sure yours are super pretty. I'll try steaming, then, I haven't tried that before ^-^/