Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Whole Wheat Waffles With Beer!

Whole Wheat Waffles with Beer Added

Yep, I tried Mora's advice of adding some beer to the waffle batter. Unfortunately I didn't have enough beer to substitute half of the liquid with it -- because I bought only one can yesterday and drank most of it with the meal last night :P -- but the small amount I used today did make a difference. I didn't smell much of the beer while baking, but it made the texture fluffier (airier?) and flavor richier to make my waffles special this morning. Mmmmm..... Thanks, Mora!

My next step seems to be improving my waffle-baking skill so that both sides turn out equally brown. This waffle maker is the kind that you place on gas stove and turn over when one side is done. I LOVE it because it bakes waffles much faster than electric ones, but I guess I should bake one side a little longer than the other, and need some practice to find the perfect timing.


Categories:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving all of these waffle posts!

spajonas said...

mmm, have you tried yeasted waffles yet? they are amazing. light and fluffy and so so good.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had such a good experience adding beer to the waffle batter. Next time you must buy two cans of beer...one to drink and one to use! The fluffy/airy texture you refer to is most likely caused by the carbonation and yeast in the beer...at least those are my thoughts. Beer is also a key ingredient in the Belgian beef stew my mother would make. Lots of carmelized onions, browned beef...a more fatty cut is better than lean...some carrots, thyme, parsley, beer, salt and pepper. I like to add some brown sugar...kuro sato would be great!...because I like a bit of sweetness to stewed meat. Try it sometime and let me know what you think. I LOVE your enthusiasm for cooking and that you are so inventive in the kitchen. You are a kitchen soul sister to me!
\^o^/

obachan said...

Lori
Thanks! :)

Gleek
Oh, I've heard about it and I'd love to try -- when I have plenty of time.

Mora
Oh, another good idea. Thanks. I feel honored to be called your kitchen soul sister! :D I'm not sure when I can give this beef stew idea a try because meat is still expensive here, but the idea does sound tempting...

Anonymous said...

More waffles! The March issue of Bon Appetit magazine arrived yesterday. There's a wonderful looking recipe for waffles with cherries that I thought you might enjoy. Here's the link from the website: http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/fasteasyfresh/2009/03/buttermilk_waffles_with_cherry_almond_sauce

obachan said...

Thanks, Mora. :)