Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Simple and Tasty

"Addictive" Tuna and Cabbage Salad?

Another recipe from a Japanese recipe site. It really appealed to my curiosity because the combination of the seasoning ingredients looked strange and too simple to me but so many reviews there were almost worshipping it. Yes, it's just honey, soy sauce and raa-yu (hot sesame oil or chili oil) that are used to season this salad. All you need to do is to heat drained canned tuna with those three ingredients in microwave for one minute and mix in blanched and chopped cabbage. (Actually in the original recipe chili oil is added after the tuna mixture came out of microwave.) How does that sound? And they say, "You could eat half a cabbage at one time all by yourself."

The black sesame seeds was my idea.

Well, let me tell you. They didn't lie. I didn't use half a cabbage but I did use a quater of it and ate it all at one time. The hot sesame oil (or chili oil) is the key. And honey. Using sugar would not be the same, I guess. Gee. I wonder how the recipe author came up with this idea. Some people ARE creative, aren't they?


Categories:

16 comments:

K and S said...

sounds like a great way to eat some veggies :)

Anonymous said...

hihi :) may i hav the exact recipe for the salad????? it looks soooooo yummy :)

my email add is oinky_oinkz@yahoo.com.sg

thank u~~~ :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, what are the proportions of the ingredients? I have half a cabbage to use up at home! :)

obachan said...

K & S
Yeah, and I think this works with broccoli, too.

Anonymous commenter
OK. ;)

Su-Lin
Proportion of the cabbage, tuna can, honey, soy sauce and raa-yu is: 1/2, 1 can, 2/3 Tbsp, 1+1/2 Tbsp and "as much as you like."

Well, many people seem to have loved this with half a cabbage, but I thought it was perfect with a quater cabbage...

Anonymous said...

It could be a poor university student who mixed the random ingredients in his/her pantry to come up with this. :-P

Implosion said...

The ratio of lettuce to tuna in the pic looks just right to me.

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious. O_O Now I really want some.

Ian said...

We have not forgotten you, expect a mail soon :)

Anonymous said...

sounds delicious....i would like to have some...lovely.

gardensgirl said...

I'm going to make this tonight or tomorrow with the remaining cabbage from my St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef and Cabbage. YEAH!
But I was wondering, what other things can I add raa-yu to?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

call me crazy, but I tried this recipe the same day I read it on your blog, and I enjoyed it, but liked it more the next day when it was cold!!!! ??

obachan said...

Anonymous commenter
LOL!
Oh, but we should never underestimate the poor university students' contribution to culinary cultur. Necessity is the mother of invention. ;)

Implosion
Thanks.

Tindy
This was really good. I'm going to make this again soon, probably with broccoli.

Demon
Oh, hi! So happy to hear from you.
Take care.

Dave Jones
Honestly, the idea of mixing canned tuna and honey sounded so outrageous to me at first, but I'm glad that I gave it a try.

Gardensgirl
Hope you like this dish. :)
In Japan, raa-yu is typically added to the dipping sauce for potstickers (fried Chinese dumplings). Some people love to add a dash to ramen noodles or stir-fry.

Carlyn
Really?! Wasn't the oil from canned tuna gross? Mmmmm... but if it tastes good or even better when it's cold, it will be nice bento food. :)

Kirsty Girl said...

This looks yummy. It might also be good with potatoes and cabbage served hot.

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan,

I made this last night after seeing it on your blog, but I had to guess on the proportion of ingredients. And guess what-- it tasted great! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us, no matter how weird it was :)

- Raine

carlyn said...

I used tuna in water, so no oily mess with the recipe eaten cold.

Term Papers said...

nice recipe .