Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Oyako Donburi and Soy Milk Cakey 2


Oyako Donburi (Chicken and Egg Bowl)

This was my humble accomplishment of last weekend. Sorry, I’ve been too lazy to blog until today.

What's in the photo above is what we call Oyako donburi (chicken and egg bowl) here. Oyako means “parent and child,” and this dish got its name obviously because chicken and egg are used for the topping. It is important not to overcook the egg and add something green---like green onion or mitsuba.


Fuwa Fuwa Soy Milk Cakey -Matcha Version-

I also made Rachel’s Fuwa Fuwa Soy Milk Cakey --- matcha version, this time. Again mine turned out very soft, but better than my last attempt. At least, it came out from the small cake tin alright this time. I liked the taste, but could have added a little more matcha.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kekeke... obachan, my school canteen got 親子和え, guess what is it? 大豆と枝豆のおから和え. :P  

Posted by fish fish

Anonymous said...

Oishisoo! How much matcha did you use? I love reading your blog. It always makes me very hungry. By the way, I lived in Kojima, Okayama-ken, right by the Seto Ohashi for a year. I visited Kochi once. It is a beautiful place! 

Posted by Mariko

Anonymous said...

Obachan, I really shouldn't have come here at three o'clock in the morning... I love 親子丼!! 

Posted by keiko

Anonymous said...

Obachan,
Your cake looks SO yummy!
I think I am going to try the recipe~ 

Posted by Leafyu

Anonymous said...

Obachan, the chicken and egg looks yummy..!! can share recipe please..???
Cake looks yummy too.. :) 

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

> fish fish --- Wow, what a close family tie ;D

> Mariko --- I guess I put apx. 3/4 Tbsp, IIRC.
So glad to hear that you’ve been to Kochi. I don’t know much about Okayama, but my dad’s friend there sends us beautiful peaches every year, so I assume it’s a wonderful place for foodies.

> keiko --- Sorry for triggering your Oyako-don craving so early in the morning. ;P

> Leafyu --- Yeah, why not. : ) Enjoy!

> MrsT --- Sure, but can you wait until the next time I make it again? I didn’t measure anything this time… I just kept adding seasonings until I felt OK, so can’t post a recipe. BTW, I just tried out your oatmeal cookie recipe. Stay tuned! 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

obasan;
oyako domburi looks sooooo good. It's lunch time and I just found this site. Very interesting... 

Posted by Carlyn