Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Breakfast Zucchini Bread


Zucchini Bread

Zucchini bread has become something very special to me in the past couple of years.

I’ve experimented quite a bit to come up with a recipe of very light-tasting zucchini bread that is good -- at least for me –- for breakfast. Unlike many Japanese people, I love having sweets for breakfast once in a while, such as pancakes with loads of maple syrup, sweet muffins, cinnamon rolls and so on. But when I thought about having zucchini bread for breakfast, I definitely wanted it to have a light taste so that it would go well with my favorite breakfast foods like sunny-side up, sausages, tomato soup, yogurt, juice and coffee. Somehow I saw zucchini bread as something along the line of cornbread... something to eat with meals.


My Brunch. Sometimes I toast zucchini bread slices and spread butter on them.

I love eating this with cold soy milk. Recipe to follow.

Read More

BREAKFAST ZUCCHINI BREAD (formerly called OLE MISS SPECIAL)
** revised June 2009
* for 8 or 6 inch loaf pan
Ingredients
1 Tbsp. salt (to rub zucchini with)**
A)
1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup grated zucchini
1+1/2 eggs
vanilla extract
(a pinch salt)**
B)
1(+1/8 to 1/4) cup all-purpose flour*
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
a few dashes cinnamon
nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup (or more, if desired) chopped walnuts

Sift B (except walnuts) together. Rub zucchini with salt (I use apx. 1 Tbsp) by rolling it on a cutting board until the skin becomes tender. Leave for a little while to let moisture beads form on the skin. Rinse well with water. Grate the zucchini to make one cupful, drain and squeeze gently to get excess juice out (but not too much). Mix A in a bowl. Add B to A and mix. Add walnuts. Pour in a greased or buttered loaf pan (8x4 or 6x3 inch) and bake at 375F (190C) for apx. 30 min.
* Adjust the amount of flour depending on how moist the grated zucchini is.

Actually, this is the recipe that I gave chika about a year ago before I started my own blogs. (A few minor additions were made in the recipe posted above.) At that time I was using a nickname, “ole miss” on some online message boards so I named my recipe “ole miss special.” ;P I thought my recipe deserved that name because I had worked so hard to come up with it.

Chika tried out my recipe, kindly said she liked it and posted about it on her blog. As many of us know well, she is such a nice person who is very fair and considerate of copyright. When she asked for my permission before posting the recipe on her site, I instantly okayed it (and sent her the recipe in Japanese). Oh, how thrilled I was to see my recipe on her site --- a foodblog from Hawaii written in English to be read by readers all over the world! :D And her directions are much better than mine. (See the comment section of her post.)



Because of its mild taste,
this breakfast version of courgette bread seems to have inspired some people to creatively give some twists and make their own versions. This year I’m going to experiment some more for a recipe of a sweeter & moister version which should be closer to the 1st zucchini bread I tasted in the U.S. long time ago.

There’s a lot I want to write about me and zucchini bread, including the reason why I rub zucchini with salt, but it’d be too long for a single entry. Since I’m going to make zucchini bread a few more times in this zucchini season, I’ll post just the “part 1” of the story here. The rest will be added to my forthcoming zucchini bread entries.

----
My zucchini bread story -- part 1 --

* My first encounter with zucchini bread was at an Easter dinner at my friend’s house in Pennsylvania, USA, back in 1984. There I tasted a slice of something that looked like pound cake, except it was green. And it was so sweet and moist and… something I had never tasted before. I asked my friend what it was, and she said, “Zucchini bread,” but I had no idea what zucchini was then. She also told me that it was her grandmother who made it.

According to my friend, her grandmother had lost her eyesight (because of a disease?) but she was an excellent baker, and no one in her family and extended families could make zucchini bread like her grandmother did.

I was so touched to witness how much everyone loved the grandmother. The moment I told her how great her zucchini bread was, her face brightened up with a smile. That was an unforgettable scene.

If I were as shameless as I am now, I would have asked her to give me the recipe. Unfortunately I wasn’t. Also I assumed that such an elaborate dessert would be too difficult for me to make and just chickend out. So that was all for my encounter with zucchini bread. I had no chance to eat or even see one for quite a while after that.

To be cont’d.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

obachan;
Zucchini bread is so good and yours looks so moist. When I make this bread, mine tends to be a bit greener and darker. I will hunt down my recipe and give you the differences. What a wonderful breakfast photo. Yummmmmm..... Its early,,,,I'm at work.... and now I'm hungry.... 

Posted by Anonymous

Anonymous said...

obachan;
Zucchini bread is so good and yours looks so moist. When I make this bread, mine tends to be a bit greener and darker. I will hunt down my recipe and give you the differences. What a wonderful breakfast photo. Yummmmmm..... Its early,,,,I'm at work.... and now I'm hungry.... 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan, your zucchini looks soo good and beautiful color too. Mine always looks yellow to amber with flecks of zucchini. I'm going to try yours and hope it turns out as nice as your pictures. 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

> carlyn,--- Mine was actually greener and darker, too, but the color in the photo turned out much lighter. For me it’s always difficult to show green color accurately in photos, and it’s more so when they were taken against the light coming from the balcony window like this. I tried and adjusted the color balance for the green part, but still it didn’t show the darker, dirty-green color the bread actually had.

> keona --- Like I just wrote to carlyn, don’t trust the color in my photos ;P And be warned… the taste is really mild…maybe too mild. 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan,
How big is your loaf pan??? I have so many that I dont know which is the right one to use anymore. 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

Hi keona,
Ooops!! I forgat to mention. Yeah, my loaf pan is small and I guess my recipe is like a half-size recipe. The size of my loaf pan is apx. 9x17x6 cm, so it's almost like your 6 inch loaf pan??
Thanks for asking!!  

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Thanks Obachan,
LOL from the pictures I thought it looked pretty big.I should have known . Japanese stuff are always so delicate unlike our giant Canadian sizes hehe 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... my pictues are very disguising. Be careful. ;P BTW, I'm not a very good representative of the delicateness said to exist in Japan. The reason why I use smaller kitchen wares is that I’m the only one I have to feed, at the moment, and I can limit the amount to the minimum when my cooking/baking turns out as a disaster.  

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

It turned out beautifully. I like your English breakfast. lol 

Posted by Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jennifer. English breakfast?? Hmmm.... 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Interesting .. Obachan..!! zucchini bread..!  

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

That bread of yours does look good. Did you peel the courgette to give it that light colour 

Posted by Su

Anonymous said...

Mrs T
Would you like to try?

Su
Thanks for the comment. No, I didn't peel it. Don't trust the color of the picture...my camera cannot really show the green properly. (Or maybe it's a camera person's fault, not the camera.) 

Posted by obachan