Saturday, June 11, 2005

Crab Rangoon with Ice-Cold Beer!!


Crab Rangoon and Ice-Cold Beer!

Can’t get any better than this!
Wasn’t there a TV commercial with this phrase long time ago? I don’t remember exactly…
Anyway, I gave it a try today. Crab Ragoon with ume (Japanese plum) jam and ice-cold beer (more precisely, low-malt beer). I’m currently TUI (Typing Under the Influence) so forgive me if I sound funny or don’t make any sense in this post.

I LOVE Crab Rangoons so much but I had to go through some hard times to get where I am now in making them. At first I tried to wrap the filling just like the way they did at a Chinese restaurant in a small town in Miss., USA that I stayed long time ago. They wrapped it by gathering the 4 corners of the wonton wrapper together at the top and pinching the edges togethrer tightly. It never worked when I did the same thing… the filling always came out from somewhere, no matter how carefully I sealed the wrapper, and made a terrible mess. You know what I mean? The mess? So after several trials & errors (I got burnt so many times!!), I settled down with this triangle shape.

I couldn’t find wonton wrappers at any of the nearby supermarkets today, so I bought spring-roll wrappers and cut them into smaller squares. For the filling I used cream cheese, minced green onions, soy sauce, garlic powder and canned crab meat. I didn’t measure anything so don’t ask me how much of those ingredients. I used 2 spring-roll wrappers for each crab rangoon for extra crunchiness. And it was sooooo GREAT!

The only disappointment was the ume jam... it wasn’t so great with Crab Rangoon as I had expected…it was just so-so. But the crunchy wrapper, creamy and garlicky filling and ice-cold beer!! … It was a real treat :D

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obachan,

The crab rangoon looked very appetizing!! And the ice cold beer, well that speaks for itself now doesn't it!!! May I ask what brand of beer that was?? Although I probably couldn't find it where I'm at but it would be good to know if I ever make it to Japan. Every time I've been to Japan, I always settled for the usuals. After researching on the internet I've found that there are some breweries there that make Belgian style beers. But I wont; forget to try the ume chu-hai. Thanks for you help.  

Posted by kyle

Anonymous said...

obachan;
OK.....I LOVE crab rangoon!!!!!! The twin thing is getting creepy..ha ha...
yours looks so good. The Chinese restaurant near my home makes them in triangles just like yours, So don't worry about the shape! Beer and crab rangoon....sounds perfect. The ume jam would be a great compliment. Great job 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

> kyle --- It was Kirin’s low-malt beer (happoshu). Happoshu is getting more popular these days because they’re cheaper. Pilsner is a Belgian beer, right?

> carlyn --- Oh, even professionals make them in triangles? That’s very encouraging : ) 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love them too. I feel so guilty when I eat them but they are soooo delicious. 

Posted by Jonny

Anonymous said...

Hi Jonny,
Oh don't feel guilty. It wasn't you who killed the crabs ;) 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Hi, Obachan. :) I've been reading your blog for a while now, and your cooking looks very delicious! I really love crab rangoon as well, and I first tried it in Kansas, US. Unfortunately, it's hardly known where I am on the east coast, US. I have a relative who used to own a Chinese restaurant, and they would serve it. An aunt who once taught a Chinese cooking class showed me how to make them. The way I was taught was to grab opposite corners of the wonton wrapper and fold at the points so that the adjacent sides meet (as if you were going to fold the wrapper in half diagonally). When you do this, you should be pinching it at the middle of each side. Then you bring it together in the middle so that it makes a four-point star shape. The trick is to pinch a little of the filling in the middle where the points meet to use as "glue." A little bead of filling sticking out is fine, and maybe you don't want to push too hard. Then all you have to do is fry it at a temperature that is hot enough so that the wrappers crsip up before the cheese melts (usually several seconds). I don't know if that made sense, but maybe it will help you the next time you try! :) 

Posted by ave qute

Anonymous said...

Hi ave qute!
Welcome and thank you for your tip : ) Yeah, I really think the right temperature is very important. I’ll try it your way next time!  

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

They look so delicious .. Obachan..! i thought they were store bought.. :) 

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm pretty sure that no Chinese restaurant sells Crab Rangoon in this city. 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Personally I prefer the triangle fold over the four corners method. You get more filling :)

obachan said...

Mmmm... Good point. ;)