Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Mr. Rice-Guy


Eggplant-pizza-sauce-and-cheese bake ?

No, the post title doesn’t have anything to do with the photo on top. What’s in the photo was my late-night supper tonight. Maybe I should call it eggplant-pizza-sauce-and-cheese bake. Sliced eggplants, sautéed ground beef seasoned with pizza sauce and sliced cheese were placed in layers, and baked in the toaster oven. I sprinkled some grated cheese and parsley on top before eating. Really simple and fail-safe dish, but probably something I shouldn’t have had after midnight. Anything I eat after midnight (or after 10pm?) will go straight to my thighs… :O

Now, about the Mr. Rice-guy. No, not Mr. nice-guy, but "rice" guy.

Read More

He was one of the customers at our Izakaya tonight, and he ordered a bowl of rice with some other meat dishes. Then he ordered another bowl of rice. After a while, he and his friends ordered rice again, one bowl for each. It was about time that working staff there had supper, so we were worried about not having enough rice for the staff. But the guy ordered another bowl of rice. No other choice --- I cooked rice again (It’s my job to cook rice there.) Believe it or not, the guy ordered and ate 5 bowls of rice in total, and believe me, the rice bowls we use at the Izakaya are not small! He has become a legend among us, and I just wanted to share it with you.

Thank you Mr. Rice-Guy. We appreciate your outstanding contribution to our sales tonight (even though rice was one of the cheapest food we serve at the Izakaya).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obachan,

Thanks for you daily response to our posts! Could you tell me a little about the izakaya you work at? I am always fascinated by Japanese style bars that are small and not your "run of the mill" type sports bars or hostess style.

 

Posted by kyle

Anonymous said...

Izakayas are starting to get popular in Canada. Havn't been in one though..
When I was a kid dad invited a few of his friends over for dinner. 5 Karate/jujitsu instructors visiting from Japan. I remember mum running in to get all her rice cookers , we must have served over 40 bowls of rice ( not those delicate Japanese bowls either) my family and I could only finish 1 1/2 bowls of rice hehehe . It was a very fun and enjoyable dinner for everyone. 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

Obachan, I really liked what you did to the recipe categories. Beautiful pictures and very organised, :) 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

Oh, your eggplant bake looks so yummy! It's like an Italian version of Greek moussaka. 

Posted by Midge

Anonymous said...

obachan;
The eggplant casserole looks wonderful. The story
about the "rice man" was great. I know a few people who could eat that much rice!!!!!  

Posted by Carlyn

Anonymous said...

Wow..!! 5 bowls of rice..!! man.. that rice man.. must LOVE his rice alot..!!
Love the eggplant cheesy thingie you did.. :) I will prolly try.. and make them one day.. Obachan.. :)
Love the new layout and everything else.. !!  

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

> kyle --- Thank you for leaving comments to make my blog more exciting!
OK, the Izakaya I work at is a cross between Yakiniku restaurant and Izakaya. We have a variety of ox tongue dishes such as tongue stew, tale soup, and sliced ox tongue seasoned with miso or salt grilled over charcoal or on a small iron plate, etc. We also have many side dishes of grilled, deep-fried and simmered food as well as traditional Japanese dishes like makizushi and sashimi. After the mad-cow disease problem, we started serving more of pork/chicken dishes. And the kitchen gets as hot and humid as hell, especially in summer!!

> keona --- Really? Izakaya is getting popular in Canada?! Hope you have a chance to visit one someday. Yeah, the martial art folks eat a lot, don’t they? And the sumo wrestlers. I can imagine how busy your mom was. I bet she didn’t even want to see rice for quite a while after that : ) Oh thanks for commenting on the categories. At first I was going to use free illustrations on the net, but I thought using pics of my own table wares would make it more like “my original” thing. I even made the paper-sack for chopsticks myself using some leftover origami paper. I’m so happy that someone liked it, because it did take some time…I sure felt rewarded. :D

> Midge --- Hi, thanks for your comment. Yeah, I’ve heard about moussaka. That’s something I want to try someday… I mean, not making but eating.

> Carlyn --- We (the staff in the kitchen) was wondering if there was some kind of eating competition going.

> MrsT --- I think zucchini would also be nice in place of eggplant. Thank you so much for commenting on the new layout. I never really learned CSS, but this time, from trial and errors, I found out how to deal with the “padding.” Hey, obachan is still learning! 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan

Better to keep on cooking than have 'no more Mr Rice guy' huh? =) 5 bowls is pretty impressive!

Btw that dish looks pretty tasty. I love eggplant in any shape or form! 

Posted by AugustusGloop

Anonymous said...

Hi AugustusGloop,
Thanks for visiting and commenting :) We'd welcome Mr Rice guy when we have few customers...because we really hate throwing away leftover rice... but if he'd come to our place on busy weekend, you'd witness a dishwasher in the izakaya kitchen freaking out. ;) 

Posted by obachan