Thursday, June 02, 2005

Konatsu Bavarois


Konatsu Bavarois

It’s June now and the weather here is getting hot and humid, so I decided to change the template to something simpler.
------

Today is my complete day off, thank goodness.
I made konatsu bavarois, using a Japanese recipe for orange bavarois.


It tasted alright, but probably would have been better if used regular orange. I knew that konatsu is more commonly used for making sorbet, but I just wanted to experiment a little rather than making something that I already know what it tastes like. My conclusion: I prefer Konatsu sorbet than Konatsu bavarois. :P

Read More

It was very stupid of me that I forgot to make and save a few konatsu slices for garnishing. So I used the flesh of loquat (or Japanese medlar) instead. It is in season now and I’m thinking about making a dessert out of it sometime soon. :)

BTW, today I tried adding a little pectin powder when whipping cream. It worked! -- almost too much. (If you’re interested in trying, be careful not to add too much pectin and not to whip too long after adding it. I added less than a pinch, but definitely whipped too long ;P ) This finding really made me happy. From next time on, I can stick with the low-fat and less-expensive whipping cream and still be successful!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan,

These look absolutely yummy! Did you know that you can also use a pinch of cream of tartar when whipping cream? You will get a similar result. 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

Obachan;
Wow, the dessert looks so good. It is nice for a hot summer day... I remember those humid days...ahhhh...
 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

> Reid --- Oh, cream of tartar! That's something I hear about often but can never find anywhere around! I used to think it was a "cream" but it is a powdered substance, right? And is contained in baking powder? Hmmm, I'm wondering... then if I add a pinch of baking powder when whipping cream, would I get a similar result???

> carlyn --- Yeah, the humidity! It really sucks!  

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

oh...you have to make one for us next time we visit you... 

Posted by Patrick Leong

Anonymous said...

Hey Patrick,
Sure! I'm going to use regular oranges, though ;) 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

i'll send u some cream of tartar if u'll give me your address 

Posted by liv

Anonymous said...

Obachan,

Thanks for the insight of your izakaya work place. To be honest I don't think I will be eating any of the "tripe" or tongue dishes, just a personal issue, although I do like oxtail soup. The makizushi and sashimi are definites with me! Especially Japan sashimi!! Awesome with a cold beer! I can imagine how hot the kitchen must get during the summer..oh that's right around the corner. 

Posted by kyle

Anonymous said...

> liv --- Welcome and thanks for your offer :D But I guess the postage will cost much more than the cream of tartar itself, so please don't bother. I appreciate your kindness, though. Thanks anyway.

> kyle --- Yep, it's coming soon... I just don't understand why I, though sweating like hell in the kitchen every summer, don't lose weight at all :( 

Posted by obachan