Saturday, June 04, 2005

Rosemary Potatoes


Rosemary Potatoes

My rosemary in the balcony garden is doing pretty good, but I just didn’t use it for cooking/baking at all for the past couple of months. It just didn’t occur to me. I did try out rosemary shortbread in February, but did not post about it because I was more interested in experimenting with cheese shortbread at that time. I thought I could try rosemary shortbread again later, after searching for the recipe I like better. Then I just forgot about it.

This morning, when I was watering the lovely herbs in my balcony garden, I noticed how long I haven’t paid attention to my rosemary, and decided to use it for something today. What should I make??? I had some potatoes and garlic in my kitchen, so rosemary potatoes seemed like a reasonable (quick, easy and least expensive) choice.

Read More



Although the combination of butter and potatoes is so tempting to me all the time, today I decided to go healthy. I felt the need to take a break from dairy products. So the recipe I picked was the one that uses olive oil but no butter.



Instead of red potatoes, I used regular potatoes because that's what I had in my kitchen. Basically I liked this recipe, but couldn’t help adding a squeeze of lemon when the potatoes were done.

It must have been greater if I had freshly cracked black pepper, though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ochaban,
I have rosemary too, and I will make baked rosemary potato soon. What would be a good meat to go with that? I live in a condo, and we have a small porch. My fiance grows basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, sage, dill. The plants do surprisingly well in the summer. All he does is water, and they double the rate of growth. I usually end up giving them away to friends. I don't like to buy herbs from the supermarket, because they are expensive and usually wilt before I can use all of them.
In the ideal world, every supermarket should give away free herbs. That's how it was in Taiwan, at least.
A hello from the United States to you!  

Posted by Joanna

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, making me so hungry. 

Posted by Jonny

Anonymous said...

Nothing goes so well as rosemary, olive oil and potatoes. 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

obachan;
your potatoes looks so good. I am not a big fan of rosemary (tastes like pine needles to me..ha ha) but, your potatoes look wonderful. I bet the garlic was a nice balance to the rosemary. 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

I thought I posted my responses but they’re gone…maybe I deleted them by accident?? Anyway, I’m posting again. (These may not be exactly the same as the responses I had before, though.)

> Joanna --- Enjoy your rosemary potato! I’m so surprised that supermarkets in Taiwan are so generous. How nice of them! Anyway, A condo, a small porch, a fiancé who grows basil… you are living my dream life, Joanna!!

> Jonny --- Go ahead and cook something in your gorgeous kitchen! ;)

> keona --- Right! And I learned that the combination of rosemary, sugar and butter is also pretty good when I made rosemary shortbread.

> carlyn --- Yeah, the garlic, and the lemon squeeze, too :) 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Lovely..Obachan..! 

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)  

Posted by obachan