Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Food I Enjoyed at My Parents' House #2


Miso Soup with Wild Boar Meat

This entry may suit Esther’s Weird Food Series at her Food Mall. To be honest, I don’t think this is too weird, because to me it’s not too different from pork. It’s wild boar meat... It’s not really weird, isn’t it? People eat wild boar meat in other countries, too, right? But it is not very popular here in Japan, because here you have to have a proper license to catch wild boars. Last year my dad got the license to catch (not shoot) some wild animals, and when he catches wild boars, I think he asks someone with a proper license to kill/slaughter them. (This photo is wild boar thigh.)

What’s different about the way they eat wild boar meat in my hometown is that they leave the skin on the meat, with the hair often not shaved off thoroughly. :( Though some gourmet people say that the skin is the tastiest part with an interesting texture, I can’t eat that part. But I have to admit that the fat layer right under the skin, which is not as soft as the fat of pork, is so tasty that I can’t resist. (And this kind of nutrition table makes me feel at ease ;)) The meat can be quite tough sometimes, but luckily this one was not… This must have been a younger boar. Cooked in miso soup with taro, daikon and carrots, the meat was very tasty.

Old people here say that “You never burn your tongue with cooked wild boar meat,” and I guess that’s true. I wonder why… maybe it is because of the dense texture of the meat? Anyway, it was my first and last time eating wild boar meat this year, and for me once a year is pretty enough. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

what a lovely ode to wild boar this is!
i will try to taste it as soon as i can find one already "prepared" for me heehee....
happy christmas celebrating to you too obachan...

Pinkity said...

We have wild boar meat over here too though it's usually cooked with curry. Maybe it's because of the tough texture of the meat. But, nevertheless not too weird. Very tasty too! :)

obachan said...

drstel
Oh, nice to hear from you :) The preparation must be a lot of work... My mom never does it and always leaves the work to dad.

Pinkity
Wild boar meat cooked with curry! It sure sounds good. Yeah, the curry flavor must go well with the nutty flavor of the meat. Mmmmm...

Anonymous said...

I have not had luck with boar steaks, often they are too tough. I wonder what a good marinade would be to tnderize the meat more....

obachan said...

I've heard that cooking meat with pineapple chunks would tenderize meat and that's what they do with sweet and sour pork. But I'm not sure if it works for boar meat, too ...