Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Sourdough English Muffins


Sourdough English Muffin

Of course I haven’t forgotten about my dear Charlie II ;)
This was my brunch yesterday -- sourdough English muffins – inspired by the recent (?) post by Nic of Bakingsheet. Actually I wanted them for breakfast, but I wasn't careful enough when I read the recipe the night before. I didn’t pay a proper attention to the part that said,“Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with cornmeal and leave them to rise, covered with a clean dishtowel, for about 45 minutes” and I slept in yesterday morning. So when all the necessary preparations and baking were done, it was already brunch time rather than breakfast ;P

Charlie didn’t look very active, but the muffins rose pretty well. It was my first time making English muffins myself, and I liked using a frying pan, not oven, for baking them. The cornmeal tasted really good. It was my persimmon jam that wasn’t really great about this brunch, but I wanted to finish the jam no matter what. Next time I’m definitely going for orange marmalade.

6 comments:

purplecupcake said...

Hi, lovely muffins there. Where can I get sourdough starter? What exactly is it? Thanks

Nic said...

I'm glad you liked them. They look like they turned out perfectly!

obachan said...

purplecupcake
Thanks for your comment. I hope this site answers your questions. :)

Nic
Oh, Hi! So nice of you to come over :D I was going to visit your site to thank you for sharing this recipe.

My muffins turned out OK, but not really perfect... they were a bit too soft and most of them turned into squares or triangles as I transfered them into frying pan. :P But I really liked them.

FooDcrazEE said...

toast them up and spread some salted butter and watch them melt.....so good!

Farmgirl Susan said...

Those look soooooo good! : )

obachan said...

foodcrazee
I know... it's an absolute pleasure...

Melissa
They'll come to you even though you try to avoid them, Melissa ;)

farmgirl
Thanks. I love them.