Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Revenge of the Wild Boars...???


Revenge....???

I know these photos are not very appetizing, but I thought about sharing them because this may be something you don't see often. ;)

Last weekend I stayed at my parents' house and I need to do so this weekend again. It’s for the autumn festival in my hometown. The town consists of 3 (or 4?) small sections, and every year one family from each section has to join the festival committee to take care of the festival. It is our family’s turn this year, so my parents and I have been involved in the preparation. (I’ll be posting about it on my another blog, if you are interested.)
Anyway, these are the pics I took at my parents' house last weekend. This is how a couple of wild boars did a revenge in my dad’s veggie garden. As I wrote before, dad has a license to trap certain wild animals in a certain time of the year, thus my family eats wild boar meat once in a while this way.

Now, in my hometown, wild boars often cause damages to veggie gardens and orchards every year. That's why dad decided to get a license to catch them in the first place. But this autumn, they dug up my dad’s veggie garden three times already while the neighbors' veggie gardens were untouched. So my mom and I are joking that it must be the revenge of the family members of the boar that dad caught last year. Dad insists that they are attracted by the special fertilizer he uses but the neighbors don’t. He says that the fertilizer has a distinctive smell from fermentation and the wild boars are attracted by it. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but the fact is that his young daikon (top photo) and Chinese cabbage (left) are suffering seriously.


Categories:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obachan genki? How do you prepare wild boar?? I saw it made into a nabe style preparation before...did you ever try to make tonkatsu from it? Or is the meat too katai? I bet your otosan was pretty angry huh. Good luck with the festival.
Kyle

Anonymous said...

We have wild boar in Northern California, and they are mean, bad little dudes. They don't see well, so if you are camping and they run into your cmap site- they will attack you. If you jump up high into a tree or climb ontop of your car, they can't see you anymore, since their vision is terrible and they can't swivel their neck to look up, only straight ahead. How does your fmaily prepare it, and what parts do you use. Other friends of mine have huntign liscenses for boar but its only allowed in this area by bow and arrow! Once a year my friend Nick will shoot a few, give us one and we take it to the butcher to be made into sausage and steaks.

Chubbypanda said...

Mmm... Wild boar. It makes pretty tasty Chinese-style cha siu if prepared properly.

- Chubbypanda

obachan said...

Kyle
Genki desuyo! :D My family eats wild boar meat in miso-soup. You can see the photo by clicking the “this way” after “my family eats wild boar meat once in a while.” Never tried or even thought about making tonkatsu --- it would be too katai, like you say. Dad was pretty shocked (but he keeps using the same fertilizer.)

the wine makers wife
Oh, it’s so nice to hear from you again! :D
So you have wild boar over there and they attack campers??!! OMG. I never thought that such a thing can happen in California. And you are not allowed to use guns to shoot wild boar there? Mmmmm... hunters must be really good at bow-shooting.

My family usually prepare it in miso soup. (Click on the “this way” after “my family eats wild boar meat once in a while.” I’m really curious about how the wild boar meat sausage tastes like.

chubbypanda
Oh, cha siu!! Yeah, that must be good. I wonder if it’s difficult to try it at home… Maybe some special preparation is necessary with wild boar meat.

Anonymous said...

Soo desu ka! The miso soup looks good but it somehow reminds me of a beef stew. Looks very delicious though. Maybe Okinawan pig feets soup? Too bad you can't make tonkatsu out of it...I think there could be potential. Maybe broil it first then fry?? I can't believe it...when you mention wild boar I think of the ones' on the hanafuda cards!
Kyle

Lysithea said...

Hi Obachan! How does your father catch the wild boars? Is there anyway to build a fence around the garden so that the wild boars couldn't get to the veggies? It seems such a waste that the beggies are destoryed!

Can't wait to continue reading your autumn festival! :)

Anonymous said...

i'd trade wild boar for vegetables anyday. Wild boar though should always be barbequed on an open fire.

obachan said...

Kyle
I’ve never tried Okinawan pig feets, but heard that it’s quite gelatin-like.
Yeah, I always think about the hanafuda cards, too. BTW, the funny thing is that my dad was born in the year of the wild boar. Maybe that’s why his veggie garden attracts these wild creatures so much. ;)

lysithea
He sets up a trap. It's like a huge cage with some food inside. If we’d go for a fence, it would have to be really tall and strong to stop the wild boars, which means it would cost a fortune. But that way the veggie garden cannot get enough sunshine. So I guess dad figured out that sewing veggie seeds several times is much cheaper than building a fence.

Freudian slip
Yeah, why not? And if possible, do try (just a little bit of) the fat layer under the skin. It’s REALLY tasty. I mean it.

rown
Wild boar barbequed on an open fire! Mmmmm… that’s wild! :D

obachan said...

Hi Jonny,
OMG, is it true?! Mom and I thought that dad just made up the fertilizer story. I guess we should apologize to him... Thanks for sharing. Dad will be happy ;)