Wednesday, November 22, 2006

酢の物 Sunomono (Vinegared Dish)

*
柿なます Kaki namasu
Vinegared persimmon and daikon strips


I couldn't find a nice bowl for serving this dish, (the one I had in mind was used for walnut tofu) so finally I decided to use the persimmon as a serving bowl. How's this idea?

The dressing I used was the mixture of 2 Tbsp. vinegar, 1 Tbsp. sugar, a few drops of light soy sauce and just a little bit of wasabi. It was nice, but to be perfectly honest, the persimmon bowl tasted better than the sunomono itself… :P
*


Categories:

3 comments:

Plume said...

That's sooo beautiful!
I love the persimmon bowl!

Anonymous said...

I've had this style of presentation of some vegetable okazu in persimmon (maybe aemono, I can't remember anymore) a couple of times... I think the first time was at Yuuan in Nishi-shinjuku. Anyway, I always remember that dish every time I find reasonably-priced persimmons.

Thursday I made a green salad with fuyu persimmon slices, finely chopped onions, and toasted almonds. It wasn't quite as dramatic a presentation, but looked nice in its own way.

obachan said...

plume
Thank you. It was a very tasty bowl indeed. ;)

jason truesdell
I bet your persimmon salad was much better than my namasu. Great work! :D