Saturday, February 24, 2007

Kumquat Marmalade and Citrus Financier


Kinkan (Kumquats)

I haven’t written about it here on this blog, but now I have a new nighttime job. Yesterday someone brought bunch of kinkan (kumquats) to the office, and this was my share of this lovely-looking citrus. To be honest, I’m not too crazy about kumquats. In my childhood, my grandma once boiled them with bunch of sugar and made me drink the soup when I had a bad cold. It was sweet but the bitterness from the rind was very unpleasant to me. Then she made me eat the boiled kumquat. Actually it tasted better, being less bitter from the boiling. But after eating a couple of them, I nauseated. (Sorry.)

So I didn’t know what to do with these kumquats. The only thing I knew was that I didn’t want to eat them raw. And I ended up with the same old solution… marmalade. Hahaha…
I googled and found some kumquat jam recipes on the net. They were so simple… Wash kumquats, boil them (to take away bitterness), halve, seed and chop them, then simmer with sugar and lemon juice for about an hour.

And the amount of sugar was supposed to be apx. 50% of the weight of the seeded kumquats. Easy enough.





When the kumquat marmalade looked done, I immediately tried it on buttered toast.


Not bad…But I would never call it my favorite. Then what should I do with these three small jars of kumquat marmalade that I’m not too crazy about? Here comes the same old solution: Use it for baking. :P

Hence, my first attempt with this cake.


Kumquat citrus Financier



When I posted about my angel food cake last year, I believed that it was the best way to use up the frozen egg whites. Well, not any more. From now on, “financier” will be my first choice. I know that it’s probably a less healthy choice, but think about the wide variety of flavors I can play with: cocoa, matcha, tea, citrus, fruits and various kinds of liquor, too… :)


See the minced kumquat rind?


BTW, now I’m terribly intrigued by those silicon mini-financier molds. But my concern is that most of them would probably be too big for my small oven-cum microwave. I mean, they would fit, but won’t be able to turn with the turntable inside the oven. Does anyone know if those silicon molds (Matfer, Flexipan, etc.) can be cut with scissors or something?


Categories:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,I just wanted to say how delicious your Kumquat citrus Financier looks,I've never eaten a kumquat but you sure made that look delicious & so elegant.Where did you get the recipe for Financier?I really love your blog as my daughters and I love anything about Japan,so we really enjoy it. :)
Renee
reneealam@peoplepc.com

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I like the taste of kumquats and your creations look gorgeous!...

Chubbypanda said...

I love raw kumquats. Soooo gooood. We Taiwanese consider them a culinary treasure.

The rind should be sweet and the innards bitter. Are kumquats in Japan different?

Kazmic said...

The financier looks fantastic!
I'm sure you can cut the mold with scissors. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

dear Obachan,over here in Malaysia we eat and drink them often.In fact now celebrating Chinese New Year,most home has 1 pot of kumquat plant full of fruits to usher in the new year,which supposedly to bring in Luck.For drinks we blend roughly 7 whole kumquats then mixed in 1-2 soured plum and top up with ice n water.Great n refreshing!Some even take the trouble to sliced the kumquat and tucked in a sour plum then preserved in lots of sugar to stand for 2-3 weeks till the sugar liquidised.After this just scoop 2-3 kumquats tog. with some of the liquid then either drink hot or cold.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering if the small silicone ice cube trays I've got are as heat-resistant as the silicone bakeware... I don't know if the material is prepared to a different standard, but if not, they'd be perfect for a toaster-oven sized device or small convection oven.

Anonymous said...

Obachan,

I'm so envious of all the beautiful kumquat you've got! In VietNam, we make them into confection, jam, or use them to drink. If used for drink, the zest from the skin is much more prefered than the actual juice (I usually eat the skin and throw away the juice). If you cut all of your kumquats into halves, take out all the seeds, then simmer them in water + sugar (I use rock sugar), a bit of honey, plus a teaspoon of seasalt, keep the concoction barely bubling for ~2 hours and stir from time to time until the liquid carmelize and become quite condensed. Then you can store this away and make tea in cold weather with a piece of ginger mmmm... I love kumquats.

Unknown said...

They looked yummy!!

BTW, I just heard from a local cooking show on TV that Flexipan can be cut.

obachan said...

Renee
Thank you. I found a Japanese recipe for plain financier on the net and made a couple of minor changes, including using kumquat marmalade in place of honey.

Rosa
Oh, you have kumquats over there?! Somehow I thought they were only available in Asian countries. Mmmm… I sure learn a lot from blogging.

chubbypanda
Well, I thought the rind was sweet AND bitter, but now that you say that, I’m not sure if the bitterness came from the rind or the innards. When I bite a raw kumquat and feel the bitterness, both the rind and the innards are in my mouth, you know.

Karen
Thanks. Now I’m going to go for the silicon mold.

Limes
Wow, how interesting! Especially, I’m impressed with the idea of kumquat-sour plum combination. That sounds really healthy and tasty. And I can imagine how gorgeous your Chinese New Year feast is…

Jason
Well, there’s only one way to find out… ;);)

Idlehouse
Thank you. I guess my marmalade is not too different from what you described, so maybe I can make tea with it?? I’ll give it a try.

Wokking mum
Oh, good! OK. I’m ordering a silicon mold today. :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are awesome. I can almost smell the citrus! Yum :)

Jason Truesdell said...

I just found some nice little silicone baking cups, perfect for tiny cupcakes, and possibly suitable for financiers.

http://www.amazon.com/Silicups-Regency-Silicone-Baking-Cups/dp/B0009V1BIA/ref=pd_bbs_11/103-3664090-8846234?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1173073228&sr=8-11

It seems like they should work well in a small oven. I'll give them a try and post something within a week or two. (I'm still behind on my Berliner Pfannkuchen :P)

There are colorful ones on Amazon, though not at my local supermarket... I just got these white ones. They were a bit smaller and cheaper than the Amazon ones.

obachan said...

Saya
Thank you. The citrus rind was such a pleasant accent in this butter-rich financier.

Jason
Thanks for the link. Those cups look so cute. I'm looking forward to seeing what you bake with those cups.

the Lumpia said...

My dad has a lot of kumquats from his tree. I'll have to tell him about your recipes. They do look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hi- I really like your blog a lot!

Oh my goodness, the kumquats are beautiful. To me, it seems like the more beautiful the fruit, the more bitter it tastes (grapefruit in particular)...

I had no idea kumquat seeds could be so green! At first glance, I thought they were scallions. :o I guess that would be totally ridiculous, though.

I think that those have a really lovely color contrast.

obachan said...

the lumpia
Thanks! I wonder if he likes this kind of cake. My dad probably won't like it because he cannot eat buttery sweets.

kicklecubicle
Thank you. Yeah, I felt the same way about the seeds. They were amazingly green! And removing them was some work, actually. ;)

wasabi said...

Please, would you mind to give your recipe for "financiers" Thanks so much. alatriste@bulma.net