Saturday, April 21, 2007

Kumquat Marmalade Crumble Muffins


Kumquat Marmalade Crumble Muffins

I still have two small jars of kumquat marmalade sitting on the shelf in my kitchen. Since I don’t like it very much on buttered toast, the choices left are using it for drinks or sweets.

Yeah, the financier was a great success. But this time I wanted to try something else. So this was the kumquat marmalade version of an “orange marmalade and crumble muffins” recipe that I found on the net.

Actually the recipe called for cream cheese and crumbles for the topping. OK. I had some cream cheese left in the fridge.



I was so curious about how the toppings would taste with the big kumquat chunks in the muffins. But unfortunately, I didn’t taste cream cheese almost at all. And though the muffins were not bad after all, I have to say that I liked the kumquat marmalade in financier better -- much better.


Categories:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan!
Those looks soooo goood and very spring like. Your wagashi is lovely as always! Aldo it's raining endlessly in Vancouver I am happy because ofspring veggies and fruits. What would you do if you have two boxes of strawberries like me:)

Pip said...

These muffins look delicious, can you send me one? ;D

GFAD said...

Sounds like an interesting recipe. May I have it please? I am always looking for ways to use up leftover jam!

BTW, re the okonomiyaki, do we mix all the filling and cabbage into the batter? I saw another recipe that says mix only the cabbage into the batter and place the fillings on top after the batter and cabbage is put into hot pan.

I should not have a problem getting Japanese okonomiyaki sauce or tonkatsu sauce as there is Isetan and Jusco here. Do we use Japanese mayo or regular mayo?

obachan said...

Ireney
Rain doesn't sound too exciting to me, but the two boxes of strawberries! Gosh, I envy you. I can picture myself making jam and canning it for hours and hours just like a mad scientist in the lab. :D

Pip
Thanx but sorry, they're all gone. ;)

Ka..t
OK. Email me, please. (Basically all you have to do is "marbling" apx. 2 Tbsp marmalade into plain muffin batter and topping with crumbles and cream cheese.)

Re. okonomiyaki, you can do it either way. If you mix everything into the batter, I guess the ingredients like seafood and meat will turn out softer (juicier?), and if you place them on top, they'll be grilled directly on the pan when flipped over, which would bring out the good flavor of the ingredients (but may make the pan dirtier).

I don't know the difference betw. your regular mayo and Japanese mayo... maybe Japanese mayo is saltier??... but either would be fine, I guess.
Enjoy!