Sunday, September 02, 2007

Miso-Itame


Pork and Vegetable Stir-fry with Miso Sauce

Believe me. I tried...
I tried to post a recipe for this dish. But it was so terribly painful for me to measure the seasonings with a measuring spoon... especially when making a stir-fry.
Oh well, next time. And it's going to be very soon, I think.

This was supposed to be nasu-miso (eggplant stir-fry with miso sauce), but obviously eggplant slices are the minority on this plate.

OK. For those who might be interested...
Here's my recipe for the miso sauce for this type of miso-itame (stir-fry with miso sauce)

(For 2 servings)
1 Tbsp..... miso
1 Tbsp..... mirin
2 tsp ..... sugar
2 tsp ..... sake
1+1/2 or 2 tsp ..... soy sauce

This is the way I usually do: I mix above seasoning ingredients in a small bowl to dissolve miso and sugar, then pour the mixture into the frying pan when the meat and vegetables are almost done. (Actually, I use only half of the soy sauce for making the miso mixture. After seasoning the stir-fry with the mixture, I pour the rest of the soy sauce along the side of the frying pan and mix it with the ingredients by shaking the pan a few more times. They say that this way you can make the stir-fry tastier with the appetizing aroma of the slightly burnt soy sauce.)

You might want to use less sugar and/or mirin if you like more savory miso itame. Mine is rather sweet, I guess.


Categories:

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks delicious!I can understand what you mean. It can sometimes be very painful to measure every ingredient...

Anonymous said...

Obachan, I know what you mean by 'painful' :) I can eat a big bowl of rice with this delicious looking dish, oh I'm getting hungry now (lunch time here!).

obachan said...

Rosa's Yummy Yums
Thanks. I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who hates measuring ingredients.

Keiko
I always eat twice as much rice when the side dish is nasu-miso or shoga-yaki. Oh, mabo dofu, too. (Am I making you more hungry? ;))

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan!!
That dish looks delish! I love all kinds of eggplants.. thai,asian,globe and etc. I will definitly make this dish tomorrow!!! I bought a bitter melon today because I am trying to cook something new. Do you know what should I do with it?
thx:)

obachan said...

Hi Ireney!
Eggplants are very popular here and I love them so much, except that I don't like the way they make miso soup look dirty.

Gosh, you are so brave to buy a bitter melon just like that. It took some courage for me to buy one for the first time several years ago... A very popular dish here is "goya champuru" and the recipe is here.
I don't like it too bitter, so I actually rub the bitter melon slices with salt and leave them for a while before washing them.
Good luck!