Monday, February 18, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls to Celebrate My Survival


Cinnamon Rolls

Today was my first day off at the new daytime job, and I was determined to bake something to celebrate my survival. Yes, survival. You know, I have never been an early bird (except for the times when I had to get up early for certain reasons), so getting up at 5:50 am every morning for 6 days in a row -- in the middle of winter -- was certainly a challenge for me.


I forgot to set the alarm off last night, so I woke up at 5:50 am this morning as usual. But it was nice to stay in bed, feeling happy about not having to rush to work. Happily dozing off once in a while, I thought about what to bake today, and finally decided to go for cinnamon rolls.


Sorry, those who gave me wonderful cinnamon roll recipes about a year ago when I gave it a try for the first time. Today, I thought about trying one of yours, but I just didn’t feel like doing the conversion! So I took an easy way out, which means, I, again, relied on ”allrecipes.” (The site takes care of U.S.-metric conversion as well as changing the serving size.) This is the recipe I picked this time, but I baked mine in a square pan instead of muffin cups.


Because I didn’t have enough all-purpose flour, I mixed in bread flour and even cake flour to make the dough. Also, I chickened out about the amount of margarine (actually I substituted it with butter) and used a lot less of it for the filling. So my cinnamon rolls didn’t turn out as gooey and moist as I had wanted, but still, I think I made a big progress. ;)




Categories:

10 comments:

Rei said...

Omedeto gozaimasu Obachan,

Your cinnamon rolls look so delicious my mouth is watering I can barely swallow fast enough! Congrats on "survival"! The first week, even first few months can be quite challenging in a new job. I remember having weird dreams whenever I started a new job, even waking up abruptly remembering something I forgot to do!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY SURVIVAL !! ^-^
Your CinnamonRolls look reaaally yummi !!! I Want some of theeeeeem !! ^^

Greetings, Chu

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great cinnamon buns! Mmmhhhh! You survived ;-P!!!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Those look absolutely yummy!

Kudos to you on managing to get up before 6 am - I'm definitely not a morning person either and find it trying enough to wake up an hour later than that.

Ea

Pinkity said...

Those cinnamon buns look so darn good! Besides the usual nuts and currants, wont it be nice if we can have like toffee on it? :d... Then i'd be all sticky and gooeyyy~

wishful thinking!!

K and S said...

Yah! you survived your first week. What a great treat :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on surviving the first week of your job! Those cinnamon rolls do look delicious.. A lot better than your previous ones. Makes me wish I had some...

obachan said...

Rei
Thank you. Luckily,I have had no weird dreams so far. And when I forgot to do something, I don't even know that I forgot something, which is probably a bigger problem, hahaha... :P

Chu
Thanks. There's still some left in my kitchen. (Just a little bit dry now, though.) Why don't you come over? ;)

Rosa
Yep, I did. And I'm so happy about it.

Fool's-trifle
Yeah. They say that getting up early will be easier as you get older, but I really doubt it...

Pinkity
Oh, please. Don't tempt me. Toffee on cinnamon buns! AHHHHH!! Calories... AHHHHH!!! But it DOES sound goooooooooooood.

K & S
Yeah. I can have a nice tea time with these cinnamon rolls after coming back from the supermarket. :)

Sirpaul
Yeah, these are definitely better than the previous ones. Also my presentation (photo-taking skill) has improved,too.

Anonymous said...

those cinnamon buns look very tempting!! great photos! congratulations on surviving week #1. I hate getting up early in the winter too!

obachan said...

Thank you, tiptup. I hate getting up early in any season of the year. :P Hahaha...