Thursday, February 24, 2005

Something (Slowly) Getting Closer to Soft Ginger Cookies


Soft Ginger Cookies...?

I didn’t blog about it, but I’ve tried out Alicat’s Soft Ginger Cookies about 3 times since I saw her post last October. Every time they turned out really tasty, but my cookies never looked like hers… mine always turn out a little thicker, with no crack at all.

I thought maybe it was because I used honey instead of the molasses called for in the recipe. So I tried everywhere I could think of to find molasses. Finally, I found one place --- could be the only one place in entire Kochi --- that has this:


I used this "full flavor" molasses this time, and the photo on top is the result I got. Yeah, they are thinner, at least… but still no crack. I wonder why…
They taste so good, though ; )

BTW, the molasses costed about US$ 6.50.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Obachan!

Good for you for not giving up on the recipe. I don't know enough about the science behind baking to explain your crack-free cookies, but using honey would make a big difference in the taste, color and texture, I think. How did the molasses batch compare with the honey batches? I'm glad they all tasted good, anyway. :) 

Posted by Annie

Anonymous said...

Hey.. Obachan,
The main thing is that it taste good right..?? for me... i donch really care how something look like.. as long as the taste is good.. ;)
Sorry i haven't posted the recipe for you.. i've been ill.. will do it soon.. promise. ;) 

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

Hey Ob's!

Hmm...I don't know why yours aren't turning out as chewy! :S I am up well over a mile in elevation but I don't know if thats a factor at all. My cookies were REALLY chewy tho...so who knows?? :) I'm so glad you kept trying and the important thing is that they tasted good! :D
 

Posted by AJ

Anonymous said...

HI Obachan,
Just wondering, is your dough too runny???. It should be a ball when you put on the cookie tray and the tray should not have been warmed. 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

> Annie --- Mmmmmm… it’s difficult for me to explain the difference in English. Molasses batch looked definitely darker and tasted sweeter … rather heavier sweetness?

> MrsT --- Yep. The taste is the most important thing, so I’m not unhappy. But I’m just curious why my cookies don’t look like hers.
BTW, it Adam is アダム in Japanese. Did this work?

> AJ --- Hey! It could be different kind of molasses? Or different kind of baking soda or oven temperature? I’m really curious, so I’ll keep experimenting. I want them to be cracked like yours. Do you think it would help if I put more baking soda?

> keona --- Yeah, it was a ball alright, and the tray wasn’t warmed. I did downsize the recipe, though. So maybe I made a mistake in calculation…?? 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

I got my cookies to crack with a thick dough that consisted of butter flour baking soda and brown sugar. The last ingredient is key and it will crack at the last moment of ten minutes at 350 degrees for basic cookies that I was making. Any liquid sugars turned out badly in my cookies. 

Posted by Jennifer