Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Sakura Mushipan and Matcha Swirl Bread


Sakura Mushipan and Matcha Swirl Bread (?)

These two kinds of bread caught my eyes at the nearby bakery today. I knew the pink one was “Sakura (cherry blossom) mushipan (steamed cakebread),” which is my favorite. Usually they sell sakura mushipan in the cherry-blossom season only, so I don’t hesitate to buy one when I find them on the shelf.

I had no idea what this one with many green stripes inside was...

When I read the tag, I found that the green stripes were matcha cream.


Boy, it must be some work to make the matcha cream look this way.
The bread was soft and not too sweet, which I liked, but I didn’t taste matcha very much…


And this Sakura mushipan ! The mushipan is very soft, and the anko (sweet azuki -bean paste) at the bottom adds some, not too much sweetness, which is wonderful!

What I like the best is, however, the salted cherry leaf at the bottom. It has a very distinctive flavor, and to tell the truth, I hated it when I was a kid. At that time I never saw Sakura mushipan around, but
Sakuramochi was already very popular. I still remembet the first time I tried a salt-preserved cherry leaf. When I was eating a sakuramochi, my grandma told me to eat the leaf, too. I thought she was kidding, but she insisted and promised me it would taste good, so I gave it a try. And I hated it. I just spitted it out and was mad at her for the rest of the day.

Well, my preference changed as I grew up and now I love the combination of lightly sweetened mushipan (or mochi or whatever), sweet bean paste and the salty cherry leaf so much. The taste of the cherry leaf always reminds me of my grandma’s gnarled fingers (because after that incident I made her remove cherry leaf from sakuramochi every time I ate one).

*** OH! I'm terribly sorry !!! I forgot to save the comments from 3 people given to the picture of Sakura mushipan!! Forgive me please....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so tasty! 

Posted by Jonny Angel

Anonymous said...

hey obachan
nevermind lar. I forgive you this time!! The sakura mushipan looks really yummy~ I love anything that's pink :) 

Posted by pinkcocoa

Anonymous said...

I love how the food look.. :)  

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sakura mushipan? I've tried all sort of mushipan, but not sakura. And of course, the matcha swirl bread... never tried to. Hey, the matcha stripes so cute.  

Posted by fish fish

Anonymous said...

> Jonny --- I wonder what you’d think about salt-preserved cherry leaves. Have you tried one?

> pinkcocoa --- Thank you for forgiving me : ) Now your favorite color, pink is going to be everywhere around here… I mean the cherry blossoms.

> MrsT --- Yeah, they were very eye-catching on the shelf at the bakery.

> fish fish --- Actually, the green stripes reminded me of the pajamas my uncle used to have…. ;P 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

How pretty... I love mushipan and these pictures remind me (again!) of how delicate and beautiful Japanese food are. I just hope your grand mother wasn't too upset...

PS
I made a post about matcha dessert but wasn't sure if you spell matcha or maccha - I thought matcha was better and am glad you spell the same :) 

Posted by keiko

Anonymous said...

woohoo!!! I should be in Japan right now so I can live in a pink-pink world!! :p 

Posted by pinkcocoa

Anonymous said...

I'm envious , they have such beautiful artistically done cakes and pastries in Japan,, wiah there is a cooking school I can go to for that...sigh.. 

Posted by keona

Anonymous said...

> keiko --- They sure look good. I just wished that the matcha cream had more matcha flavor… BTW, looks like the rules of Hepburn system  says it is “matcha” instead of “maccha.” I spelled it “maccha” in my green tea cookies entry a few months ago, but I changed it this time.

> pinkcocoa --- It’d be nice if you could be here. We can hunt all the Sakura-related pink foods/drinks together ;)

> keona --- The people who work at the bakery shop would be really happy if they read what you wrote. Thanks for the nice comment. 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Hi obachan,

I'm just going to die. That sakura mushipan looks so delicious! I love the saltiness of the leaf...maybe that's why I love sakura an pan as well. I find that the sweet and salty flavors go together so well. 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

Oh, hang in there, Reid ;) If you already have Sakura anpan there, maybe Sakura mushipan would also be there sometime soon.... 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

hi.. i've been browsing through your blog and enjoy it very much. I'm wondering how can i have the recipe for the sakura mushipan and matcha swirl bread. I've seen a few food that you made that i like with no recipes.

obachan said...

Hi anonymous commenter,
Thanks for your comment. Sorry, I bought those breads at a local bakery and they closed in 2005, so there is no way to get the recipes. Too bad.