Tuesday, May 03, 2005

AT THE FAIR


"Strawberry Waffle Cone" with Shiratama dango

At Kochi castle, whitch is just 7 min. by bicycle from my apartment, a “historical fair” is being held from May 1 to May 5. I visited there today and posted some photos here.

There were some, not too many, food stalls there and this was what I bought at a stall selling Japanese sweets. Well, actually they had some traditional Japanese sweets and some Western sweets with a Japanese touch. They called this “Strawberry waffle cone.” As some of you may have guessed, these small white balls are “shiratama dango (rice flour dumplings),” so that was supposed to be the “Japanese touch” added to the totally Western strawberry ice cream.


Warabi-mochi and Mitarashi dango

I didn’t buy any of these, but they looked very nice so I just took a picture. The transparent jelly-like balls are “warabi mochi (bracken-starch dumplings).” They put these little bunny-shaped white jelly (I guess) on top, because this stall was run by a Japanese-style café in town and the name of the cafe is related to bunny. Those dumplings on wooden skewers are “mitarashi dango (rice flour dumplings with salty-sweet, soy-sauce based sauce).”

It was such a nice day, not too cold, not too hot, with nice gentle breeze. Perfect day for enjoying a fair.
Hope this weather lasts for the rest of the week.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! yummy..!!  

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

Yes, holy crap that looks yummy! 

Posted by Robyn

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm guessing the small balls are either mochi or taro? 

Posted by jonnyangel

Anonymous said...

obachan!!!!!
mmmmmmmm....odango and dango in ice cream?
they look absolutely wonderful... I love odango.
I used to eat them off the carts in Tokyo.
hmmmmm...I am really hungry now.... 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

I wonder how much the odango were? I bought one at Minamoto Kitchoan for like, $2.40. 

Posted by christina

Anonymous said...

Hmm...dango in ice cream? Interesting idea. I love dango! ^-^ The ice cream looks tasty as well. I'll make my own dango and try that out myself. ^^ 

Posted by Tea

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that looks so yummy!  

Posted by Julia

Anonymous said...

robyn took the words right out of my mouth--holy crap that *does* look good!!! 

Posted by santos.

Anonymous said...

> MrsT --- Yep, it was!

> Robyn --- Wow, it’s been a while since I heard “holy crap” last time ;) It sure was yummy!

> Jonny --- They are rice-flour dumplings. Cute, aren’t they?

> carlyn --- I love odango, too.

> christina --- Sorry I forgot to check the price. The Strawberry waffle cone ice cream with dango was about $4.00, BTW. So expensive!

> Tea --- I thought dango might be tasteless compared to the ice cream, but they were OK. Good luck with your own dango in ice cream! :D

> Julia --- It was. And it was quite big, too.

> santos --- They also had matcha pudding with dango, anko and whipped cream. Sounds good, ha?  

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

I was eaten this in Tokyo!! It was very nice!!

Yam Yam!!

And now I search the to do list for made by my self..

Jessica

obachan said...

Hi Jessica,
I'm glad to hear that you liked the one you had in Tokyo.
Good luck with your attempt! ;)