Thursday, June 23, 2005

Eggplant Zucchini & Kabocha Pumpkin Casserole


Eggplant Zucchini and Kabocha Pumpkin Casserole

This small kabocha is, again, from my parents’ veg. garden. My mom brought it with the tomatoes last weekend. With the eggplants and zucchini I had left from the other day, I, again, went for the quick and easy solution for leftover vegetables --- cheese casserole.

It was so easy to make with store-bought pizza sauce. All I had to do was just slicing the vegetables and placing them in layers with tomato sauce and sliced cheese. (I added a little cream, too.) I was also very happy to use up the grated parmesan cheese that I had in the fridge for quite a while.

The casserole was OK, but one thing I would do differently next time is the amount of pumpkin to use --- either keep it to the minimum or not use it at all. The pumpkin I got from mom was what we call “kuri-kabocha” here, which has very sweet, nutty flavor and chestnut-like texture, so it made the whole dish rather too sweet and heavy. It definitely killed the subtle sweetness of the zucchini. :(

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey.. Obachan,
Too bad that adding pumpkin didn't make the combination that well huh..?? bummer..!! 

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

Drool! 

Posted by Jonny

Anonymous said...

Obachan;
The vegetable casserole looks wonderful... Too bad the kabocha was too sweet..maybe layering with some basil would cut the sweetness? I would have enjoyed it anyway.... 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, my favorite vegetables! Oishisoo. 

Posted by mariko

Anonymous said...

> MrsT --- It’s sometimes a bummer because even among the same kind of kabocha pumpkins, local ones and imported ones don’t taste the same. I was used to the taste of the imported ones lately so I made a mistake.

> Jonny --- Thanks.

> carlyn --- Hmmm…basil. I’ll remember that. My dad’s kabocha was definitely more suitable for a simmered dish.

> mariko --- And eggplant must be your most favorite, right? ;) 

Posted by obachan