Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Broccoli Potage Soup


Broccoli Potage Soup

For the painful work of cleaning up the closet and kitchen that I did last weekend, I bought myself a reward today. It’s an electric blender, the cheapest kind that has been on sale at the mall for months. I had always wanted one, but it was not the price that kept me from buying one this summer. I simply couldn’t stand the idea of adding one more thing to the chaos in my kitchen. The mess was almost making me nuts and I repeated in front of the mirror hundreds of times, “No more kitchen utensils until I get rid of all the crap!!” Well, I finally did the major throwing away this weekend, and now this new, inexpensive electric blender is officially welcomed in my kitchen.

Of all the things you can make using an electric blender, I chose “broccoli potage soup” as the first mission for this newcomer. The reasons were: 1) I like broccoli, 2) for some reason I like green-colored soup, and 3) there were some leftover boiled broccoli in the freezer that I wanted to use up.

Even though I call it “broccoli potage,” I used other vegetables, too. Cooked onion, garlic and potatoes were thrown into the blender in addition to boiled broccoli. My home-made chicken stock I froze a few months ago was also used for this soup.

The result was quite satisfactory! I knew I was supposed to strain the soup through a fine strainer or something, but this time I decided not to waist the rich fiber of the vegs. And the thick soup tasted good even without straining. I think I can call this a success : )

Too bad the photo cannot show the real nice green color of the soup! Green is always the problem with my digital camera...

* Sorry, I replaced the photo on top because I couldn't stand the color of the previous one.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love green soup too! How adorable.
Blender suggestion: Have you ever whirled a block of tofu into your pureed soup? 

Posted by cookiecrumb

Anonymous said...

Weeeee.... your blender looks so much like fish fish one. Hey, Obachan, I'm going to Shikoku this weekends. ;) Driving trips... Phew~~~ 

Posted by fish fish

Anonymous said...

cookiecrumb
No, I haven't, but it does sound like a great idea. I'll definitely try that next time. I wonder if it would work with asparagus soup, too...

fish fish
Woops, I guess you know its price, then? I bought mine at EAON here.
What part of Shikoku are you coming to?! Drive carefully!! :D 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say "hi" since I found your site for the first time today via World on a Plate. I am currently obsessed with Japan so I will definitely be back! 

Posted by Beth - The Zen Foodist

Anonymous said...

hi obachan,
i love broccoli soup too. after three YEARS of drooling over the vitamix (the cadillac of blenders) i finally broke down (and got broke in the process) and bought one. that was five years ago and i haven't regretted in once. that sucker can grind wheat into flour, man, isn't that cool?!! my broccoli soup is super simple, like yours, using only stock (knorr vegetarian vegetable cubes), broccoli, onion and a DASH of dijon mustard, which really gives it a nice taste, i think. my vitamix does the rest, blending it up into something so creamy you'd think it was squeezed from a cow's udder. so congratulations on your newest addition. i'm trying to dissuade myself from an icecream maker at the moment...
 

Posted by rae

Anonymous said...

Here's one recipe I really love:

3-4 large potatoes
4 carrots
1 onion
4-5 garlic cloves
chicken stock (or 1 chicken stock cube + water)
2-3 tbs mild curry paste

Peel and chop vegetables, put in a pan and add enough water to just cover the vegetables. Boil until the veggies are done, add curry paste and blend until smooth. (I use Rajah curry paste, https://ssl.kundenserver.de/asia-ssl.de/shopimages/1302.JPG)


I usually add a bit of cottage cheese to this soup when eating, I think it works really well with the curry flavour. Sometimes I've also added cooked chicken or salmon after blending the soup. 

Posted by paola

Anonymous said...

How does it taste.. Obachan..??
 

Posted by Big BoK

Anonymous said...

Beth-The Zen Foodist 
Hi. Welcome to my kitchen! Hope you keep coming back and have fun. (Please be warned that my cooking is not a good representative of normal (?) Japanese cooking, though.)

rae
That’s marvelous! No wonder you call it “the cadillac of blenders.” Never thought about adding a dash of mustard, but it sounds great. Thanks for the tip! Looking forward to your home-made ice cream entry ;)

paola

Thanks a million for the recipe. This is really tempting. I’ll go look for curry paste and get cottage cheese, too. Mmmm… a new idea for the use of cottage cheese. So exciting!! :D

Big Bok

Tasted like broccoli, onion, garlic and potatoes mixed together ;D i.e., pretty good! I really love the way potatoes make this soup milder and garlic adds a flavor to it. Yum! 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

I have some great ideas :) Nevermind. Next time.

obachan said...

Thanks for dropping by. Why wait? Share the great ideas now, please :)