Thursday, September 01, 2005

Vietnamese Coconut Lemongrass Chicken


Vietnamese Coconut Lemongrass Chicken

Seems like my lemongrass loves this hot and humid climate here in Kochi. It is now taller than any other plant in my balcony garden. Hmmm… why haven’t I used this for cooking at all yet? Did I plant it to watch it grow taller and taller? No way. When I bought the young plant of lemongrass, I was really looking forward to trying some new Asian recipes this summer. What happened to my enthusiasm…???


Well, summer is about to be over, and it was this recipe that finally made me decide to use the lemongrass for cooking. I wasn’t looking for a recipe when I found the recipe --- I accidentally came across with that site. Then I thought, “Hey, wait a minute… Why not?”

I downsized the recipe, as usual, and did not measure the amount of liquid seasonings very carefully, so the lemongrass chicken I made this time was probably far from what it should have been. I hope the recipe owner and Vietnamese people don’t feel offended. It tasted alright… but I guess I'd prefer a simpler lemongrass chicken recipe without coconut milk and curry powder.
Well... maybe next time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've linked to your blog on my blog for global blog day! 

Posted by Farid Zadi

Anonymous said...

obachan;
....looks interesting. My stepmother was Vietnamese and when visiting her, I recall the wonderful Chicken soups with lots of lemongrass and cilantro, vegetables, cellophane noodles and yummy broth. She and my dad lived in Bangkok and the Thai food was more like what you cooked. Hope it was good... 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

rae has also linked you for the blog day 2005  event. 

Posted by rae

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan - I never thought about growing lemongrass in my garden... why not? The chicken looks really yummy, I'm getting hungry again! 

Posted by keiko

Anonymous said...

hi hi obachan
I wanna keep lemongrass too! When I start my own herb garden I will come and bother you. heeh

I cook my chicken with lemongrass, chilli and fish sauce ;-) It's great with rice. 

Posted by pinkcocoa

Anonymous said...

Farid Zadi 
Hi. Welcome and thank you so much for linking my site for the blog day event. Honestly I didn’t know there was such a thing as Global Blog Day! I feel so honored :D

carlyn
It was OK, but I thought the curry and coconut milk sort of cancelled out the lemongrass flavor to some extent…

rae
Oh, thank you so much for linking and the nice comment you put about my blog. I’m happy that you called mine an “eclectic blog.” I don’t think my blog has so many recipes, though…;P

keiko
Yeah, why not? I don’t know if fresh lemongrass is available in most stores over there, but having some in your own garden would be definitely handy.

pinkcocoa
Oh Hi! So nice to hear from you! Ask me anything abut gardening :D I can’t tell you much about what you should do, but definitely can tell you bunch of things you SHOULDN’T do. Hahaha… Next time I’ll try a simpler recipe like yours.
 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Great! I just bought a few lemongrass plants on the weekend and I'm glad to know that they grow well in Japan.
I actually really like the combination of lemongrass and coconut milk- it's a match made in heaven! 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
My lemongrass didn't look too good until early summer, and once it got hot and humid late June - early July, it started going wild :) Good luck with your lemongrass plants.  

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Looks really interesting .. Obachan..! cooking with lemongrass is pretty tacky.. from what i know..!
So as cowardly as i am.. i never ever tried it.. but i do love lemongrass..!!

 

Posted by Big BoK

Anonymous said...

This was my very first time cooking with lemongrass. I really don't know how it should be, so it was kind of a blind attempt. But it was fun. 

Posted by obachan