Monday, December 05, 2005

Fukiyose


Fukiyuose

Literally fukiyose means different kinds of colored leaves blown together by an autumn wind. In cooking, when a dish has an assortment of bite-size food in various colors and flavors, it is often named fukiyose. On my fukiyose plate, there were:
- *鯛の柚子味噌焼き tai no yuzu-miso yaki (broiled sea bream flavored with yuzu-miso)
- *百合根の辛子明太子和え yurine no karashi-mentaiko ae (boiled lilly bulbs seasoned with spicy and salty walleye pollack roe) The pinky-white, flower-petal like thing in the back.
- むかご mukago (air potatoes)
- イカの松かさ焼き ika no matsukasa yaki (broiled squid that looks like a pine cone) I know mine doesn’t look like a pine cone…It should curl up and the cuts should open up much more, but you know what? I made the cuts on the wrong side of the squid… :O
- かまぼこ銀杏 kamaboko icho (steamed fish cake cut out in the shape of ginkgo leaf) I made up this name because I didn't know what to call them. They are kamaboko slices cut out with a ginkgo-leaf shaped vegetable cutter (not a cookie cutter), glazed with egg yolk and briefly broiled.
- 山芋紅葉 yamaimo momiji (yam cut out in the shape of maple leaf ) These yam slices were cut out with a maple-leaf shaped vegetable cutter, then baked in toaster oven and topped with karashi mentaiko.
- 銀杏 ginnan (ginkgo nuts) skewered with pine needles.

* My favorites.

1 comments:

obachan said...

Hi! I'm glad to hear that my post was helpful to you. Yeah, I can understand that finding sweets for fukiyose can be difficult over there... BTW, I only mentioned about fallen leaves, but looks like sometimes fukiyose can include nuts (chestnuts, acorns, ginkgo nuts etc.) and mushrooms, too. Good luck with your sweets-hunting. ;)