Wednesday, December 07, 2005

My Slow Cooker Repertoire #1- Apple Walnut Pudding Cake -


Apple Walnut Pudding Cake

Not bad, huh? :)

OK, here’s the recipe. (I downsized it to half when I made mine.)
Though it tells you to use a two-pound can, I didn’t have any cake tin that could fit in my slow cooker, so I buttered the inner ceramic pot of my slow cooker and directly poured the batter in it.

Because I downsized the recipe, I set the timer for 2 hours, but the cake wasn’t done. So I continued heating a little longer. The cake turned out moist and fluffy, which I was very happy about, but the side and the bottom got pretty tough. I wonder if that had anything to do with leaving the cover ajar. The taste was OK, but I would definitely add a pinch of salt next time I make this.

Well, it was nice to know that a slow cooker can make a pudding cake like this, but honestly I wonder what the advantage of using a slow cooker is when baking this kind of cake. Unlike simmered dishes, you sure don’t want to overcook a dessert, so even if your slow cooker had a timer, you probably wouldn’t want to leave the cake in the cooker for hours after it is done. That means you wouldn’t want to pour the batter into the pot and set the timer in the morning and leave home, then come home late in the evening to open the cover. If that’s the case, I’d prefer using an oven that can take whichever cake tin I want to use.

However, I’m very willing to make custard-pudding type of dessert with this slow cooker. That is something that my oven cannot handle well. So some kind of custard-pudding will be my next “slow-cooker dessert” entry. I’ll give it a try after I finish eating this pudding cake, so stay tuned. ;)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks great! I've had a slow cooker for years and still haven't managed to try making desserts in it. You're very fast!

bourgogne said...

oishi sooo! that looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know one could make desserts in a slow cooker. The cake looks really moist and yummy! :)

robwonton said...

Are you going to post the recipe? The picture looks fantastic.

Jennie Durren said...

Wow, that definitely looks like something I'd like to try! I agree - can you post the recipe?

I'll have to dig out the slow cooker - I usually keep mine in storage because it's not very practical for me. I am gone from home for about 15 hours/day and that's just too long for the slow cooker....

FooDcrazEE said...

Oh My...delish looking. Can you post the recipe for slow cooker..would love to try. I lost my manual or cookbook long time ago. all i uses them is for soups and my herbal tea.

Thanx

obachan said...

Amanda
Thanks. Curiosity always makes me jump into something new and makes me learn things in a hard way. ;)

bourgogne
Maa maa oishi katta desu.

sue
It was really moist. Taste-wise…I wanted a little saltiness or butter flavor.

robwonton
Hope you like the recipe. :)

Jen
Like I wrote above, I’m not sure if baking a dessert in a slow cooker is really practical or not…

fooDcrazEE
Hope you like the recipe.
:)

Anonymous said...

Any chance of the recipe being sent my way too?

Anonymous said...

address being amy_loublu@yahoo.com
reading Japanese text is not my forte, so comments sections seem to be a bit hit and miss! Sorry

obachan said...

Hi amy_loublu,
You can see the recipe (in English) by clicking the word “the recipe” underlined in the post above. And I’ll send it at your email address, too, just in case. Hope you like the recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

I think the point of using a slow cooker might depend on the dessert, but I think maybe your pudding cake wouldn't have turned out as moist and fluffy if you hadn't used the slow cooker (even if you had an oven that COULD handle custard desserts well). Ovens in general don't hold moisture especially well, I think.

You should try making fruit compote with your slow cooker. If you find a good recipe, it's heavenly!

FooDcrazEE said...

i will try and post them in my blog later.

obachan said...

Anonymous commenter
Oh, that makes sense! Yeah, I think this pudding cake was moister and fluffier (except the side and bottom that turned tough) than the same kind of pudding cake I baked before in my oven. Fruit compote sounds great. I still see European pears on the shelf at the supermarket, so maybe that’s something I should try…

fooDcrazEE
Good luck and have fun! :D

obachan said...

Or, really?! It's a great news. Thanks for the information. :D