Saturday, February 11, 2006

Izakaya Chronicles #2- Changes -

Looks like a few of the kitchen staff are going to quit at the end of this month.It always feels kind of strange to work with someone, knowing that the person is going to be gone soon.
New staff.
New entries to be added to our menu.
New work shift.

Usually, I feel excited when something new comes in, but…

Oh, one funny thing. Last night at work, one of the cooks told me that they had the electric dishwasher repaired. The repair person said, “You guys are lucky. If you had kept using this without repairing, some of you would have gotten electrocuted!” according to the cook. That would have been me. I'm the one who spends most of the time with the dishwasher, and I didn't even know that there was anything wrong with the machine. :O

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, thank God it didn't happen!

Anonymous said...

It must mean that the work is really hard--otherwise people won't quit.

Sometimes when I go to a restaurant and when I see waiters, busboys, kitchen staff working so hard for so little money it really takes away from my pleasure of eating.

The older I get the less I like going to restuarants for that very reasons.

Fairness in pay in ALL!

Anonymous said...

obachan;
Thank goodness no one was hurt with the dishwasher!!!! Too bad there is a turn over coming to the izakaya!! Its always difficult to break in new employees....

FooDcrazEE said...

be careful and ensure to check all electrical appliances b4 using Oba Chan....

obachan said...

skyjuice7
Yeah, I’m glad it didn’t happen.

joanna
I agree with you but I have to tell you that there’s another reason why people quit even when the work isn’t hard. People quit when there’s too little work. It’s torturing that you have to stay in the kitchen doing nothing but wait, and wait, and wait… just to see only a few customers. And it is repeated again, and again, and again…

carlyn
That’s true.

foodcrazee
I don’t really know how to check such appliances, though. I still don’t understand what the problem was with the dishwasher. But I guess the dishwasher is the only electrical appliance in the kitchen now so we should be safe for a while. The electric blender broke last year, the food processor broke the year before… Oh, wait! There’s a microwave! And yeah, the one we had a couple of years ago suddenly sparked inside and went dead. Hope it doesn’t happen with the one we have now. ;)

Anonymous said...

Obachan, I'm so glad you didn't get electrocuted! My cat bites all sorts of cables around the house and we're always worried (he's once bitten off one of the main computer cables!) I understand how you feel about 'changes', good luck and I hope you get on well with new people too.

obachan said...

Wow! I hope your cat or anyone else doesn't get electrocuted! It's always a headache, isn't it? I mean the pet and cables.
My boss at the izakaya told me that one of the new staff started her work yesterday. Right now our biggest concern is if she would want to continue her work or not... many newcomers quit in the past as soon as they experienced their first busy weekend...