Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sweet Seasons/ May 2006 - Azalea -



I never meant to post about wagashi on the last day of every month, but looks like that is the way it is going recently, right? See, it tells you that obachan is innately a procrastinator. * OMG!! I just realized that I skipped a wagashi entry for April! I'll do something about it sometime this weekend...


Azalea

This wagashi is another nerikiri (for the explanation of what nerikiri is, click here) with beautiful gradation of red and white. The black sesame seeds in the center represent azalea stamen. It is azalea season here in Japan now, and those in the above photo are my dad’s azalea which was in full bloom last weekend.



Here I would like to share with you a wonderful site I found, which shows various traditional wagashi tools and how they are used. Though the text is in Japanese, it is not difficult to imagine the procedures from the explanatory(?) photos. And don't forget to visit this site to find out how much each of the traditional wagashi tools costs. Yes, try the currency converter linked on the sidebar ---- and scream! ;)

Wagashi by OGASAWARA



Categories:

7 comments:

Evangeline said...

that IS pretty expensive O_O

ChroniclesofChaos said...

To be frank... ever since I got into the Matcha Green Tea and Wagashi phase, this is one section I look forward to each month, your posts on wagashi.

Btw... I recently came across something called Green Tea Ice (satchets of ice cream making stuff). Supposedly all have to do is to just add milk to the powder and freeze.)

As the instructions are in Japanese, I wonder if you would be so kind to help me translate it? I will email the pic to you as soon as you say yes. hehe

Whoosh said...

Beautiful! Thank you so much for the wagashi links (more please I say, hahahah!)! It was so cool to see how they blend the paste to get the beautiful colors.....

Kristi said...

*Screeeam* more wagashi please! They're too pretty to eat.

obachan said...

evangeline
Isn't it?! I went "OMG!!!" when I first saw that site and those prices of the tools.

TicklesBellyFlops
Oh, how nice of you. It feels so great to know that someone is looking forward to my wagashi posts (or any other posts).
And about the green tea ice … Sure, email me at the address in my profile. I’ll see what I can do ;)

sera
Yeah, that sure is a great site. I can’t help seeing those photos over and over, and every time I get fascinated by the beauty and the skillfulness.

mochicheek
They are pleasure to the eyes, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colours! I've been wanting to try making wagashi (easy ones, of course :)) but I'm not really confident... thank you for the links, they are great.

Love the flower shot, really beautiful.

obachan said...

You are just too humble, keiko. With your talent that the whole world knows through your blog, I'm 100% sure that you'd make gorgeous wagashi and take stunning photos of them. :)