Thursday, June 29, 2006

Yamamomo


Yamamomo Berries

My boss gave me some yamamomo (myrica rubra or Japanese bayberry?) yesterday. This fruit is very popular in Kochi and used in various ways including desserts, jam and liquor. In my hometown, it is popular to make yamamomo-shu in the same way they make ume-shu (plum liquor), which is soaking the fruit and crystallized sugar in “white liquor” in a jar and waiting for about two months. Compared to ume-shu, yamamomo-shu has somewhat sweeter fragrance and a more pinkish color, and I like it mixed with some water and lots of ice.

The left photo shows the inside of a yamamomo berry. I like eating yamamomo raw, too, with a little salt sprinkled on, but very ripe ones only. They are quite sour and even a bit astringent when not ripe, and eating such unripe ones can be unpleasant enough to make you want to stay away from them for the rest of your life.

My boss gave me ripe and juicy ones (thanks, boss!) I enjoyed them after supper tonight , watching TV.


Categories: ,


Yamamomo on FoodistaYamamomo

10 comments:

catherine said...

that looks really good :)

and so does the bibingka in the previous post :)

i know i don't post comments often, but i was wondering if you had any recipes for some simple miso dressings? something simple but really tasty?

i still have some miso paste and the weather we are experiencing doesn't really call for a yummy bolw of hot miso soup... its usually above the 90 degrees farenheit...

Unknown said...

You are very honorable. Go well, my friend.

ghnugh

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan - can I just say that I didn't know about this berry? :) Looks pretty and it's got a pretty name too...

obachan said...

Tin
Oh I bet you have many kinds of fruits over there that I’ve never seen or tasted, and when you post about them, it’ll be my turn to be jealous ;)

sweet
Thanks. Yeah, I’m happy with the way the photos turned out.
About the miso dressing, how about this recipe for sumiso dressing that I posted long time ago? Sumiso is good with blanched vegetable and seafood (like boiled squid or octopus). You can add a little mustard for an extra kick.

world champ Stephen neal
Thank you. I feel honored. :)

keiko
I guess yamamomo trees do not grow in the northern part of Japan, so it’s no surprise that you haven’t heard of this berry. It’s kinda funny that it is called “momo” even though it doesn’t look or taste like peach at all.

CG
Oh, they have yamamomo in Osaka? I thought they were available in Shikoku and Kyushu only. Thanks for letting me know.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
you are so lucky to get it fresh! I've only had it as a preserved fruit when I was a kid. I think it was from China. I like the texture of it.

obachan said...

CG
What I said was nothing more than my assumption, so it can be wrong. Yamamomo may be available at supermarkets in Osaka, because the Japanese site I just found said that yamamomo trees can grow even in Kanto area.

tabehodai
Mmmmm... preserved yamamomo must be good, too. At least you don't have to worry about getting sour ones. :)

Joycelyn said...

hi obachan, i just enjoyed some yamamomo recently and am bemoaning the fact that they are so exorbitantly priced in singapore, plus the specimens we get don't look as spectacular as yours!

obachan said...

Hi j,
So yamamomo is available over there, too. Gee, this is what I love about blogging and receiving comments. It really broadens my horizons! To me, yamamomo was just something I see around here in June, and used in souvenirs of Kochi, until a few days ago. But now I know that people in different parts of the world are enjoying yamamomo, too, and that makes me feel so excited. :D

Unknown said...

Hello Obachan,
Thank you for your web page, it is very informative. Tonight I was going to a Kaiseki dinner at a nearby Japanese restaurant (http://www.kaygetsu.com) and I wanted to learn what a yamamomo berry was. You answered my question perfectly! Have a nice day.
Bill in California USA

Anonymous said...

i saw these fruits growing in some shrubery that were landscaped into the new building across the street (in Nakano-ku), it took a few years before it produced fruit but now I wish I had picked them. Next year!