Monday, July 03, 2006

Kimchi Reimen


Kimchi Reimen

It’s already reimen season in Japan. I remember that it was this time of the year when I posted about the cold, refreshing noodle dish last year. Though it is not a traditional Japanese dish, reimen is a staple of summer over here these days, and I’m very grateful for the person who invented this dish.

Because it was so incredibly hot and humid, I made reimen for lunch today. I used the same reimen kit as in this post, which included noodles, ready-made soup and mustard in a package. The toppings were a little different this time, though. Yes, I prepared the egg differently, and added kimchi for a spicy kick.
Yum! :D


Categories: ,

8 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I wouldn't mind eating your reimen for dinner as here it is soooo hot and quite humid!!!

That really looks tasty and fresh....

Travis said...

reimen can be kind of iffy in japan. It's really really good when it's well made. I think the combination of toppings is important...

Deetsa said...

Wow! That looks like a nice summer's meal.

obachan said...

rosa
For me it’s difficult to imagine Switzerland being so hot and humid, because my image of that place is beautiful snow-capped mountains ;)

travis
I agree. I’ve tried a couple of not-so-good ones, too, and I didn’t like the cheap ham they had as a topping. You know, those cheap, red ones that smell like chemical.

nerissa
Yep, it is. :) Too bad I don’t have a nice glass bowl now so had to use this thick, heavy plate, but when served in a big glass bowl, it looks soooo refreshing!

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I could have this right now... looks yummy indeed.

obachan said...

Thanks keiko.
I remember that you commented on my reimen post last year. Did I make you homesick again? ;)

Anonymous said...

We only gave instant ramen where we live, but we do have some nice soba. Would kimchi soba taste good?

obachan said...

Mmmm... I've never tried kimuchi soba myself, but it might be OK. However, strong taste of kimuchi would probably hide the flavor of dashi, I assume ...