Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Dream Come True - Blueberry Muffins -


Blueberry Muffins and a Rhubarb-jam Muffin

Look! These are the blueberries I harvested from my sunshine blue bush this summer. It’s a big progress from last year’s yield of three and a half berries, don’t you think? Since the end of last month, I had been picking a couple of ripe ones in every few days and storing them in the freezer. And finally today, I defrosted them all and baked these blueberry muffins.

The strange-looking one in the back is a rhubarb-jam muffin. (I made the jam a while back but didn’t post about it. It is pretty tart.) I baked 3 of them because the blueberries were not enough for a half-batch of the recipe and I needed to use up the batter somehow.



Of course, I have had better-tasting blueberry muffins before with more berries in each. But I guess you readers understand how special these muffins are to me. Five years ago, baking muffins with home-grown blueberries was a mere dream for me. Then this lovely sunshine blue bush came into my life. It survived the heat and the disease last year, and finally today, I baked blueberry muffins with the berries from my balcony garden! What a fulfilling experience.

Now I’m going to freeze the muffins … after eating one more of them. ;) Then I’ll probably take a shower and enjoy the rest of the night watching “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” which I rented today. No work, no more study tonight (I took a test yesterday) and I can sleep in tomorrow morning.
Yay!


Categories:

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

sugoii desu!

I can understand your joy! I was also very pleased when making pesto using basils from my balcony garden!

Your blueberry muffins look so good. I wish I have muffin tins! Now that I've set my heart on buying them, I can't find them at all!!! :(

K and S said...

congratulations! these look great!

Anonymous said...

They look absolutely delicious. Congratulations! And I hope you did well on your test!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! The test is over and here you are baking muffins using your very own blueberries. Give yourself a pat on the back!

obachan said...

tabehodai
Arigato gozaimasu! :) You must have had a great time making the pesto.
Hope you find a good muffin tin soon.

k & s
Thank you.

amanda
Thanks. The only thing I regretted is that I forgot to taste one of the berries before baking them into the muffins.
And about the test… I sure don’t know. We’ll find out the result in a month. AHHHHHH!!!!

june
Yeah, I gave myself a reward and had a good time ;)

Anonymous said...

wow congratulations, looks like u did a great job on the muffins. also on the photos! just by looking at them i can almost taste them.

Lysithea said...

My mouth waters :D~~

Are blueberries supposed to be sweet or sour? Hmm... have you ever tried pineapple muffins?

I love your blog! I'm going to be a fan! ;)

obachan said...

sel
Oh it’s so nice of you to say that.

lysthea
Blueberries are sweet, maybe with a slight tartness sometime? Some of my blueberries tasted tart in the muffins, so I guess they were not completely ripe. It was kind of hard for me to tell ripe ones from not-very-ripe ones, because their colors looked the same.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those look very tasty. Right now, I'm eating apricot-and-blueberry muffins, from the local Starbucks ... pretty good, if you zap them in the microwave then slather with butter, but not as good as homemade.
I do enjoy your posts, and your lovely photographs.
God bless, Christine in Los Angeles

Anonymous said...

Ohmyga...those muffins look sooooooo good...

obachan said...

lysthea
I forgot to add this: no, I haven’t tried pineapple muffins yet. They sound good, though.

Christine in LA
Mmmm… I haven’t tried Starbucks muffins yet, though I did enjoy their coffee a couple of times when I lived in a bigger city. BTW, Starbucks Japan does not seem to have apricot & blueberry muffins, according to their website.

crystal
Thank you. I’m glad about the way they turned out.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the berries! I know that joy of blueberries, as I have found a local blueberry patch this year. Your muffins look beautiful!

obachan said...

Hi lannae,
Thanks. Happy to hear that you are enjoying blueberries over there, too.
Happy berries! :)

Unknown said...

When I saw your lushious blueberry muffins, my first thought was that I wished I could mail to you some of my blueberries that I put up in the freezer, so you can make more beautiful bakery goods! Unfortunately, you are too far away. I look fwd to seeing your blueberry crop next year!

obachan said...

Oh lannae, I wish you could, too, but you’re right. I’m a bit too far.
I’m going to use some fertilizer this winter so that I can get more blueberries next year. Progress, progress… ;)

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww The muffins look so sweeet ^_________^
And i expect they will be more berryful next year =D

obachan said...

Thanks Miguel.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to making very berryful muffins next year (or pancakes, maybe?)