Friday, September 15, 2006

Can You Guess What Kind of Chiffon Cake This Is?


Beer Chiffon Cake

Thank you so much for guessing, everyone! :D Yes, some of you guessed right. I used BEER!

I copied this beer chiffon cake recipe from the same recipe book when I copied the lime chiffon cake recipe. It inspired me a lot, but I hesitated to try it out because it said “boil 350 mL of beer down to 20 mL.” Gee! How many hours would it take?! So I waited until my busy time of the month was over so that I can spend enough time in the kitchen to make this cake.

To my surprise, it really didn’t take long to boil down the beer. The beer turned into this thick, caramelized liquid (left photo, in the glass) a lot quicker than I had expected. Since the recipe recommended to use flavorful beer, I avoided happoshu (low-malt beer) and chose this all-malt beer instead. The aroma from the boiling beer filled my kitchen, and though I can’t say I loved it, it wasn’t unpleasant at all.

Then I found that I did something stupid... as usual. When I copied the recipe from the book, I noticed that the basic procedure was the same as lime chiffon cake, so after copying the part about preparing the beer, I just put, “same procedure as lime chiffon cake” to save my trouble. But I stumbled into this question: “When should I add the beer to the batter?” because the lime chiffon cake recipe, of course, didn’t say anything about that. Finally I decided to add the caramelized beer to the batter at the point when the lime rind and juice were supposed to be added in the lime chiffon cake recipe. I don’t know if that was a right decision or not, but the cake rose alright and didn’t fall miserably, so I guess it was OK.



And I’m proud to show you this photo (above). See how I removed the cake from the pan this time?! The secret is the tool they call “chiffon knife” here. Yes, I finally bought one, and now even an obachan like me can do a good job like this. Yay!

IIRC, the recipe said the beer chiffon cake is very good with loosely whipped cream, so I gave it a try, too. But to be honest, I think it tasted the best when I tried the test batch while it was warm without whipping cream or sugar dusting. (When I bake a chiffon cake, I always scale the recipe in half but still I have some batter left in the bowl after filling my 8 cm chiffon pan. So I bake it in a paper muffin cup as a test batch.)



I guess beer chiffon cake would be my favorite if I can find the right beer for it. Yebisu wasn’t bad, but I would love something more bitter. If you have baked beer cake before and recommend any particular beer, please let me know. :)


Categories:

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

gokkun? (citron/honey drink)

Anonymous said...

I dunno... but it looks tasty! Care to share a recipe?

Anonymous said...

I guess soy milk or lemonade?!!

- May

Anonymous said...

green shiso? (;

i have no clue (;

i would like to say ramune, but maybe thats because i'm craving some (;

ghanima said...

Orange juice? Any way, it looks incredible (wish I could have some)!

Unknown said...

egg nog? cream? lemonade?
do tell! ;-)

Chubbypanda said...

Sake and egg?

- Chubbypanda

Diary of Kay El said...

You have piqued my curiousity...pray tell... Triple sec? Kahlua? Bailey's? Tia Maria?Yuzu? Grand Marnier? Drambuie?...

stefana said...

Limoncello, or maybe egg liquor?

Anonymous said...

"ume" wine?

Shimaya

Unknown said...

i would have to say , sake or beer or white wine because i often use these for baking
garance

Anonymous said...

shiquasa chu-hai?

spajonas said...

lemon chu-hai? boy do i miss those (and grapefruit chu-hais.) i need to find them in the states.

obachan said...

Thank you, kat, lily, May, Catherine, ghanima, lannae, chubbypanda, kay el, imnonpc, stef, Shimaya, garance, and gleek, and all other readers who guessed hard but didn’t leave comments.

Yes, it was beer. But all your comments were interesting and inspiring to me. Lemonade sounds like a great idea, and lemon chu-hai (or any citrus-flavored chu-hai) sounds really tempting. Sake… mmmm.. it could be good but it would have to be the right kind. I remember seeing Kahlua chiffon and ume-shu chiffon cake recipe in the same recipe book, so those must be great ideas, too.

Kat, how do you know gokkun? Do they sell that drink in Minoo?

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan,

Yes, they sell Gokkun in Minoo at Daimaru Peacock supermarket. Your beer chiffon cake looks great, maybe you could try it with black beer and see how it turns out :)

Take care.

obachan said...

Thanks, Kat.
Yeah, black beer sounds good. I'll give it a try next time.

Anonymous said...

What book did you get these from, do you know? And the even more important question- was it in english or does it come in english? Heh. I'm fascinated by different flavors in chiffon cakes. I enjoy sponge texture cakes so very much.

obachan said...

Hi Lily,
It was a Japanese recipe book written in Japanese, and I don't remember its title. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

the beer chiffon cake definitely looks delicious. Can i have the recipe??

obachan said...

Hi foodlover,
I'll see what I can do. Can you email me at the address in my profile? TKS.

Anonymous said...

Good morning,
I am interested in knowing did your chiffon cake rose to that height in that lovely photo of yours? Baked a ch cake in a 20cm tube pan. Cake rose whilst baking but sunk during the cooling process. Any advice? I would like to try your recipe. Thanks. Tamtam