Friday, December 08, 2006

Project Xmas Fruitcake ... with a Late Start



I know. This is late. Very late. But I’m doing this again this year anyway. :P
I soaked dried fruits in rum and orange curacao the day before yesterday. Grated apple, lemon zest and orange zest were added as well as spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice (based on the recipe posted by Canarybird on this site.)

I know. I wish I did this earlier, at least in mid. November. (Last year I did it at the end of October but I totally forgot about it this year!) But I didn’t want to skip this ritual because baking Xmas fruitcake has already become my personal tradition with some special feelings I have developed for "a cake that gets tastier with time." Well, there seem to be several fruitcake recipes on the net that tell you to soak dried fruits just overnight or a couple of days. So I thought maybe soaking the fruits for 1 week and maturing the cake for about 10 days could be a tolerable idea. That's what I'm going to do this year...

I used “dried fruits mix” and “raisin mix” and not exactly sure what kind of fruit bits are included in these mixes. Next year I want to start earlier, and take time to choose my favorite fruits only.


Categories:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ganbarimasu Obachan! (is this correct? or should it be ganbatte?)
It should be good, I looked at some fruit cake at the grocery today and I remember ur posting...ugh, wish I can taste some of urs :P cos urs use the real ingridients and not those weird green and red cherry thing :[
All the best ;] Looking forward for the result.
K-Nina

Anonymous said...

Obachan, I admire your ambition! Which reminds me. I never got around to commenting on your "Quasi-Kaiseki" project--I was overwhelmed! You did an amazing job. Applause, applause--we're not worthy!

obachan said...

K-Nina
Ganbatte is correct. Thank you. I will give it a try and see how it turns out. The result will be posted on the 24th. :)

june
OH, thank you so much for the applause. I might give it a try again next spring or early summer.