Sunday, April 29, 2007

Homemade Strawberry Jam on a Lazy Morning


Obachan's Homemade Strawberry Jam on Yogurt


So it’s “Golden Week” here. I know almost everyone is traveling now, but I’m a lazy one, if not the laziest. :P And I wanted to post a pic that best describes how relaxing my Golden Week is. Yeah, traveling is great. Going abroad is even more exciting. But a lazy morning with homemade strawberry jam, homemade scones and yogurt (no, yogurt is not homemade) -- in the morning sunshine and gentle, soothing breeze coming through the lace curtain -- is not a bad idea, either.


To be honest, I have never made strawberry jam before. The jam is too popular, thus has never tempted me. But when I saw some strawberries on sale at a nearby fruit shop yesterday, and remembered the recent comment by Ireney, I knew that I HAD TO make chunky strawberry jam and have it for breakfast in order to fully appreciate my days off in this beautiful time of the year.

To my surprise, the jam turned out pretty good, with the perfect amount of tartness from lemon juice and the strawberries. And the berry chunks are just so… Mmmmm… What do I need to say? You already know how good they are, don't you?



Oh, I have to try this with vanilla ice cream, too. It'll be the dessert after my lunch of takenoko gohan and miso soup today.


Categories:

6 comments:

Karin W. said...

As a Swedish woman I am a bit confused about the difference between a jam, a preserve, and a marmalade?
I am not sure if i got this right:
Preserves are almost identical to jam but has chunks of fruit. Jam is a thick puree mixture of fruit, sugar and often pectin. Marmalade is similar to a preserve, but usually contains citrus fruit rind.

Anonymous said...

Obachan,
How's your Golden Week going? It is strawberry season here in Vancouver, BC. Last year I picked 4 litres of strawberriess from our local fields. Made so many jars of jam! I'm sure yours turned out great! Looks just tempting!

Sean said...

Greetings Obachan!

I was searching for a recipe for Mabodon and came across your site. I love it!!!

I saw that you made a packaged version of it. Is that common? When I lived in Japan I rarely cooked, but now I cook all the time.

I have been missing the wonderful food I had in Osaka. Last month it was okonomiyaki, this month Mabodon.

If you know a way to make it I would greatly appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Strawberry Jam! My name! Sweets!
Obachan they look devine!! I can almost smell the sweetness of those lovely red jam. I would die to try that with Nutella on a toasted bread. YUM!
Have a great holiday.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That jam looks very yummy and so does this scone!

obachan said...

Karin
As a Japanese woman who spent only a few years in the U.S., I had been confused about the difference between jam and jelly. Now, I guess we both can feel at ease after checking this site. ;)

Cocogirl
It’s going OK, except the weather is not really great. Four liters of strawberries! It must be a real fun to pick them.

Sean & Joey
Hi guys,
Yeah, I almost always use packed sauce for making mabo tofu, so I don’t have a recipe. But this recipe looks nice to me, and this person seems to be located in Japan, so this mapo tofu may taste similar to what you tasted in Osaka. To make Mabodon, you simply pour mapo tofu over a bowl of cooked white short-grain rice. Hope this helps.

Ireney
Oh, Nutella with strawberry jam?! Mmmm… something new to me, but sounds tempting!

Rosa
Thanks! Yeah, the scones turned out pretty good, too, and the breakfast really made my day.