Friday, August 24, 2007

Look! I Went the Whole Way


Pan-fried Lamb with Mint Jelly Sauce

Yep, I found lamb shoulder at the supermarket I shop at almost every day. It was easy -- all I had to do was just going to one part of the meat section where I usually pay no attention to. Haha... just like that.

Today, this lamb shoulder -- the very first lamb shoulder ever in my kitchen -- was rubbed with minced garlic, rosemary, crushed black pepper and olive oil, and left in the fridge for more than three hours. Then it was fried in the frying pan.

Oh, and the jelly! When I tasted it beforehand, I felt the sweetness of the apple and refreshing minty taste almost at the same time, then a slight tanginess followed. It was something I'd never tasted before and I instantly fell in love with it. But I thought the taste of the greasy lamb may be overpowering and hide the delicate flavor of the jelly. So I made mint jelly sauce by adding a little vinegar and some chopped fresh mint leaves to the jelly (I got this idea from some recipe sites), hoping it will give more refreshing flavor to the meat. It did!!

Viva blogging! It has broadened my culinary horizon again. And my heartfelt thanks to those who made it happen -- those who gave me the jelly, those who made suggestions and those who were quiet but expecting me to go the whole way. ;)
(But the lamb was a bit tough... And after removing the fat, there wasn't much left to eat, to be honest.)


Categories:

13 comments:

Valentina said...

This lamb looks so tender. Mouth-watering.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, that's great! The lamb looks smooth and juicy. Very appetizing!

Diary of Kay El said...

I so love lamb! Nice presentation. Must be great tasting too! Some Dijon mustard? LOL. COs that is what I like to have with my lamb...

Chubbypanda said...

Yay! Viva blogging indeed.

K and S said...

looks delicious! way to go!

ChroniclesofChaos said...

Obachan!

Sobarashi ne!!!!

I think its tougher because shoulders are usually meant to be braised or stewed over long periods of time so the tendons break down.

If you can find it, use rack of lamb/ribs. Wrap the tips of the rib bones in foil(coz the bone will burn and blacken), give a quite minute or two of panfry and then bake the whole thing with the jelly smeared over it.

Speaking of which, you are sooooo lucky to have fresh figs and other fruits and vegs available to you in Japan!

Over in Singapore, such fruit is soooo hard to find and if we can find it, its usually sour and unripe.

obachan said...

Valentina
Does it? But actually it wasn't... :(

Rosa's Yummy Yums
I must admit that the meat looks better in this photo than what it actually was. Hahaha... But the combination of lamb and mint jelly sauce was really something.

Diary of Kay El
Yeah, Dijon mustard must be nice, too. Actually I've seen some recipes that use both mint jelly and Dijon for the glaze.

Chubbypanda
I knew you and I share the same opinion about blogging. ;)

K & S
Thanks. I think I have been pretty adventurous this summer. Don't you think?

Tickles' Belly Flops
Oh, that's why it was tough? No wonder... I guess they have ribs at a different supermarket, so that's what I'm going to use next time. Thanks.

My mom just called last night and said that she didn't know what to do with so many figs getting ripe on the tree. She wants to give me some more jars of her fig jam but I'm getting tired of it, too. I wish these fig lovers in other countries could come over to mom's garden to get fresh figs. (And mom would probably give each of you one small jar of fig jam as a souvenir.)

Diary of Kay El said...

I want figs AND fig jam!!! LOL!!

ChroniclesofChaos said...

Konbawa Obachan!

If one of my annual trips result in Japan (I've been touring Europe past 3 trips and I hope to finish most of Europe in next 5 years)... I am timing it so I arrive at your mom's garden to offload your fruit excesses especially jams!

kekeke *self invitation made*

Anonymous said...

i was really suprised that you fried it, when cooking lamb we always but some oil in a roasting dish (enough to just cover the bottom of the pan, heat the pan and oil in the oven before putting the meat in) I generally buy a 'half leg' for my small family and cook it in the oven for 30minute per 500g plus another 30 mins (1kg would be 90mins) the garlic and rosmary sound perfect though :)

obachan said...

Diary of Kay El
Hey, I told mom about you and she said she'd welcome you. :D

Tickles' Belly Flops
Now your self invitation has been changed into our official invitation.

Katherine
Actually I wanted to use the oven, but my "oven-cum-microwave" is not powerful and it takes hours when I roast something in it, so I decided to go for pan-frying. I found hundreds of "pan-fried lamb" recipes on the net, so I guess it's not such an off-the-wall idea. ;)

Diary of Kay El said...

Please convey my thanks to your mom and don't be surprised if I do knock on her door - I travel to Japan for work quite often. Good weekend. Arigato gozaimas.

Rei said...

Say Obachan,
If your mother is running out of ideas for who to give figs & fig jam to, I say let's work out a trade! I'm from Washington State, I can't imagine what I could offer...RAIN?...Apples you have, Salmon you have. I'm clueless and figless in Seattle.
On the lamb subject, pan frying is fine for lamb chops. I prefer legs or crowns roasted, shanks braised (ooh, Osso Bocco like). But, your lamb dish looks so amazing. I really like what you did to enrich the mint jelly. Thanks again for sharing your ideas with us.