Thursday, December 29, 2005

Kaki Mizore Nabe


Kaki Mizore Nabe

I’m no dietitian so I don’t know if this makes sense from a nutritional standpoint, but I crave for things like miso soup, shellfish soup and vinegared dish after I experienced an overdose of sugar, fat and alcohol. Well, I already finished my ritual of consuming miso soup, and here comes the shellfish. My supper last night was
kaki mizore nabe. Kaki means oysters and here’s the explanation of what mizore nabe is. Yeah, I didn’t have enough daikon to make this one look like a real mizore nabe, but oh well, at least I tried. 
The ingredients this time were oysters, shungiku (garland chrysanthemum), enoki mushrooms and carrot. Everything was so tasty with my favorite yuzu-pon.

And this is the ritual that follows eating nabe dish…

Rice porridge made with the leftover soup of kaki mizore nabe

Some people might feel strange about using grated-daikon mixed soup for porridge, but it didn’t taste funny or anything at all. It was just so comforting. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obachan

I am a fiend for soups too! Can I ask you what is that green powdery thing that is at the top layer of your porridge?

You are the best!

Jennie Durren said...

You're not alone. I crave healthier foods after eating a lot of fatty things, too. I love the idea of mizore-nabe. What a great name for a dish!

I got a Japanese cookbook called "Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art" for Christmas. I'm going to see if it has mizore-nabe in it!

FooDcrazEE said...

wow! delish especially when u cook the leftover as porridge or rice gruel. *salivating*

boo_licious said...

I love oysters so this will be a big treat for me.

obachan said...

joanna
That green powdery thing is aonori (dried green laver flakes). Nice color contrast with the yellowy egg and orangey carrot, right?

Jen
Nice Christmas present you got! Try the recipes in the book and post, post, post!! :D

fooDcrazEE
I almost never finish a nabe dish without completing the porridge ritual.

boo_licious
To tell you the truth, I hated oysters when I was small, being traumatized by the cold, smelly and almost bitter oyster tempura of our school lunch. But now I really enjoy them. :)

Anonymous said...

Obachan - That looks so hearty & warming!

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan,
You just pointed out a fact that puzzled me ever since I acquired some consciousness towards the curious world around me. When I was small, I did not have a taste for anything raw (oyster, sashimi, roe, fermented egg), pungent (natto, blue cheese, wasabe), salty (salted egg, salted fish), and the list goes on. It was fine for me as a kid to have one or two bites, but, given a choice, I would prefer not to have any. But then, as I grew older, I find myself getting more and more tolerable with their taste and smell. Then one day, as if by some miracle, I found myself being pretty much drawn towards them. It is funny to think that after all those unpleasant experience as a kid, those are the memories that still remain and turn out to be those you like best now. Well, the retribution is that I no longer have the opportunities to taste them again, except by some rare luck or special occasions.

Winslow said...

Must... have... mizore... nabe... must... have... mizore... nabe... Thanks for the reminder, obachan! It's definitely mizore nabe season again. Yay! (adds daikon to the shopping list)

obachan said...

Kirk
Thanks. It was so comforting. :)

kelken
Isn’t it interesting how our food preferences change as we grow older? I guess many people feel the same way. Thanks for sharing your childhood memory.

Winslow
My, are you hypnotizing yourself?? :D OK. Have…mizore…nabe…have…a…good…one.