Thursday, September 09, 2004

Grits for Breakfast

Did ya’ll have this problem? I couldn’t post anything to my blog all day yesterday. Hope this doesn’t happen too often, or I will have more and more stress-induced wrinkles.

See my breakfast today!

Grits, sausage and scrambled eggs.

When I was in the U.S., I stayed in the South most of the time, and this is one of the things I miss the most: Grits for breakfast. It’s sooooooooooo hard to find instant grits here in Japan, let me tell ya. Almost no import food shops have this on their shelves. I know one online shop that has instant grits in their catalogue, but you have to make a bulk order. What I have now at hand was given to me as a souvenir.

Oh, you say you hate grits because it’s tasteless? Tasteless? What do you mean? I guess you don’t do THIS

when you eat your grits. What a pity!

Anyway, I do admire the professionals who take food photos for books and magazines. How can they get those photos of breakfast in beautiful sunshine with steam coming from warm food? Of course they have better cameras...but there must be things I can do with my new (used) digital camera to improve my photos. I’ll work on that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When visiting your site, I saw that it has a link to a metric conversion calculator. I would like to suggest a different on-line metric calculator (at http://www.france-property-and-information.com/metric_conversion_table.htm) which offers a number of extra features:
To combine ease of use and completeness, two separate metric calculators have been provided. The first is a “quick calculator” with pull-down menus which list the most frequently used units. The second is a “full calculator” which provides a wider set of conversions.
Both calculators are highly accurate and based on the complete official conversion rates (some of which are up to 13 digits) rather than truncated or rounded conversion factors.
The site provides metric conversions and explanations for both the Imperial and the USA measurement systems (rather than conversions for just one system).
The calculators will convert between Imperial and USA (e.g. Imperial or UK gallons to USA gallons), in addition to doing metric conversion
An easy to understand explanation of the metric system, with many examples and tables. Various interesting facts and a historical overview are provided.
A separate page provides more advanced information on the metric system and useful references.
These pages have no advertisements, no promotions, no banners or pop-ups. It is purely informational. To allow quick access and download, graphics have been kept to the bare minimum.
The metric information on these pages is being regularly expanded, to continuously increase its usefulness.
For further information a Discussion Forum is made available.

Overall, I believe that you will find the pages at this site to provide an exceptionally useful, interesting and informative experience. I hope that you will add a link to this location.

If you have any questions or comments, please send them to me at dougstewart@astraconsultants.com.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Dr. Doug Stewart

P.S. Links to this page can be in any format you choose. However, if you would like to see suggested link code for this page, it can be found at http://www.france-property-and-information.com/add_a_link.htm
 

Posted by Doug Stewart

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug,
Thanks so much for the useful information. Yeah, I like the conversion site you suggested much better. I changed the link. Thank you!  

Posted by obachan

Randi said...

i love grits and i cant find them in canada either. I usually buy some when I go to Michigan( just over the border). I can mail you some if you'd like.

obachan said...

Hi randi
Thanks for your comment :D Is grits difficult to find in Canada, too? But you're lucky that you live somewhere not too far from the border. Thank you for your kind offer, but the postage will be much more expensive than grits itself, so just your kindness will be enough for now. Thanks anyway :)