Saturday, November 20, 2004

Making Chicken Stock



Finally, it's getting cold around here. Even though mosquitoes still keep bothering me every night, it’s definitely getting more and more like winter. (I’m still surviving without Kotatsu or air-conditioner, though.)

Now my ambition is making nice and warm cabbage roll ASA I find a cabbage that’s not too expensive. I guess the worst time is already over, but still vegetables are so expensive in Japan (because of the typhoons we had this year). Anyway, for the future “cabbage-roll dinner night,” I made chicken stock today and froze it.

Whenever I make chicken stock, the fragrance of herbs from the pot fills my small apartment rooms and makes me feel so relaxed. It’s pretty therapeutic, isn’t it?

7 comments:

obachan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
obachan said...

Hi spottiswoode,

Thanks for your comment :) Well, what a coincidence. Actually I just baked some green tee cookies today from a recipe I found in a Japanese site. But they turned out quite bitter… I don’t know if it was the recipe or I made a mistake somewhere…. So I don’t feel comfortable recommending this recipe to someone. 
If you could give me some time, I might be able to find one that I feel comfortable with and email it to you. Can you wait?

obachan said...

> min --- Yeah, soup is so nice in winter, isn’t it? I wonder where you live.

> spottiswoode --- Just to make sure… “green tea cookie ” means the kind that uses maccha (ground green tea, unsweetened), right?

pinkcocoa said...

I havent had chicken soup for a long long time! What did you put inside to make your chicken stock? Veggies? I usually only put in a few slices of gingers and a small bunch of scallions, and perhaps a few cloves of garlic. That's a very chinese type of stock, i guess ;-)

Sorry about "spying" on your conversation with fellow bloggers again :p Cant help but notice you and spots are talking about green tea cookie. I made green tea cookie a long while back and they tasted really bitter too. What kind of recipe did you use?

obachan said...

> spottiswoode --- I emailed you today about the cookies:)

> pinkcocoa --- I put chicken carcass, celery, onion, ginger, garlic, bay leaves and added thyme from my balcony garden. Well, these comments are open to everyone, so I don’t think you spied on us :) I’ll probably get back to you about the cookies sometime soon. Please wait…

> min --- Oh, you must be in somewhere up in the north, then. Hope you enjoy your stay there until you leave.

cooknengr said...

Hello Obachan, did you roast the chicken carcas before making the stock ? Might wanna give it a shot, it takes the hearthy soup to another level.

obachan said...

Hi cooknengre,

Welcome to my site :D No, I didn't, but it sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely give it a try next time.