Friday, January 14, 2005

Hmmmm...Getting Closer, Maybe... - Savory Cheese Shorbread -


Something getting closer to Savory Cheese Shortbread

Another long-term experiment of mine: savory cheese shortbread. As in the title, the result I got today was hmmmm….getting closer, but not quite there yet…..

I tried a recipe someone posted to some kind of food forum, but I had to replace the cheese called for in the recipe with some cheap grated cheese that is popular around here. I guess that made a big difference in the direction of worse (both taste- and texture-wise). I’ll need to look for real cheddar cheese.

Anyway, I’m going to make hot, sweetened milk tea for this not-so-great cheese shortbread today.
Does anyone have a good recipe of cheese (not blue cheese) shortbread? Not a spicy kind. Something like Walkers’.

9 comments:

Reid said...

Hi obachan,

Shortbread cookies?

obachan said...

Yep, something getting closer.

Thess said...

My comment has got nothing to do w/ cheese (because I can't turn them into something else, like bread...I'm lousy in baking)

but I browsed around and enjoyed your posts ... I am surely coming back! Have a good weekend!

(btw, wow! you are really talented! I've seen your watercolor paintings and they are good! )

obachan said...

Hi Thess,
So nice of you to comment. Welcome and thanks for taking a look at my watercolors, too. :D
I haven’t done much painting lately…maybe it’s about time I should try another one.

Thess said...

Oh please, do continue doing your art, becaue I think you're really good..and has keen eyes for colors.

obachan said...

Wow thanks! I’m not sure if I’m good, but do love playing with colors.

Anonymous said...

Ohayo Obasan,
Your watercolor paintings were very lovely! Especially enjoyed the shiitake mushrooms :)

Regarding your problem with making cheese shortbread, I think it's the moisture in the cheese that is causing your problems. If you can get a hold of CHEDDAR CHEESE POWDER and incorporating it with your favorite shortbread recipe you might get a good result. I would suggest that you mix the powder with the flour so it will be easier to mix.

Good Luck! and your pics look yummy! Will try the Arare Cookies soon - they sound very interesting.  

Posted by Nini

Anonymous said...

Years later...

Parmesan Cheese Shortbread

2 sticks of butter
1 3/4 cups of flour
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. rosemary (optional)
1/2 minced garlic clove (optional)
dash of cayenne

Mix it all up. 350 degree oven. Make 1-1.5" balls and flatten to rounds on a cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown. You can also sprinkle a tiny bit of parm on the top of each 'cookie' before baking. I use shredded, not grated parmesan, although I think that would work too.

obachan said...

Thank you so much for the recipe, anonymous commenter. Yeah, I'm curious about the effect of rosemary and garlic. I guess should start looking for good parmesan cheese. ;)