Friday, April 28, 2006

Can You Guess...



... what this is? ;)

OK. Time to tell you the truth.
Yep, this is octopus. Boiled… or maybe I should say blanched octopus with ume (plum) dressing.

This octopus dish was part of last month’s course meal at the kaiseki place I work at. Of course, for the kaiseki course they used much better, expensive octopus from Japanese waters. What I used, on the other hand, was cheap, pre-boiled and packed pieces I found at a nearby supermarket. But I just wanted to give this a try and at least my curiosity is satisfied now.

BTW, have you noticed that obachan is gradually getting out of the cave and now tagging the posts? I modified the categories section on my sidebar a bit today. The reason why I have 2 categories sections is that I had absolultely no energy to tag all of my previous entries. ;P

And I’m thinking about making another category for my next project, “my favorite appetizers and sake.” After the izakaya I used to work at closed last month, I st… no, I got a permission to take
1) a recipe book of popular izakaya appetizers and
2) an old food cutter
with me. ;)

Now that my busiest time is over, I may start my experiments as early as this “Golden Week.” I guess from my previous posts, some of my dear readers already know that I’ve been pretty much interested in our traditional drink, sake. I also have to admit that a recent manga has played a big role in intensifying my interest in this alcoholic beverage. The story of the manga is about an American young guy working at a Japanese sake brewery, and by reading it you can learn a lot about sake itself and various ways to enjoy it. I don't necessarily agree with everything that's expressed in this manga, but still I enjoy reading it a lot. Especially I was happy to see the name of my favorite sake, bijofu 美丈夫 included in one of the scenes (if I was not mistaken). :)


Categories:

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it octopus???

Anonymous said...

i also think it's octopus

Anonymous said...

thats my guess with sansho leaves?

ChroniclesofChaos said...

I am pretty sure its Octopus Sashimi...

Anonymous said...

tako?? :)

Anonymous said...

It looked like a strawberry concoction of some sort, but the edges do look like Tako.

Anonymous said...

tako with strawberry sauce???

Unknown said...

octupus.......miam..!!!

Annie said...

I was thinking some sort of strawberry agar, but the edges confuse me.

Anonymous said...

Octopus dressed with ume sauce? looks lovely!

FooDcrazEE said...

octopus it is but not sure of sauce

obachan said...

Thank you anonymous commenters, clare, ticklesbellyflops, ghanima, keona, garance, annie, amy and foodcrazee and those who participated in guessing without leaving comments! :D Almost everyone guessed right, and yeah, the dressing was a bit tricky, wasn’t it? It does look like strawberry sauce, since the color of the photo turned out a little darker than what I actually saw under the light in my room.

Evangeline said...

ooh. what's the name of the manga and what magazine is it published in~~

Anonymous said...

i wanted to guess tako with strawberry sauce, but that'd be odd right?

how did u make the ume sauce?

i can't wait for you to share your new projects!

Jennie Durren said...

I'd love to know how to make the ume sauce, too.

I've never been a huge fan of octopus. The skin is so chewy. Then again, I've probably never had good octopus, so I'm always willing to try it again.

obachan said...

evangeline
The title is “Kurodo” (or Kuroudo, 蔵人 in Chinese Characters.) It’s in a magazine called “Big Comic Original.”

tabehodai
Well, it sounds like a very unusual combination, but who knows… it could be an unexpected good combination as far as the strawberry sauce is not sweet… ;P
To tell you the truth, the ume sauce was secretly given to me, so I didn’t make it.

jen
Sorry, it was given to me, so I don’t know how to make it.
I think the kind and freshness of the octopus makes a big difference in the taste. I haven’t had real good octopus yet, either. Maybe someday…

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Octopus =P looks yummy. And very well presented. Here in Portugal we usually use octopus in tomato rice with plarsley.. tastes good, but completely different to the japanese way. In my opinion, laying the ingredients in its purest form, such as here, is a good way to savor it all.. =D
Miguel S.G. Oliveira

obachan said...

Hi miguel,
Thanks for your comment and interesting information :D To tell you the truth, I didn't know that you eat rice over there, and never thought that you'd mix rice and octopus. Octopus and tomato rice sounds good. I think I would love it if I would give it a try.