Sunday, April 30, 2006

Bouillabaisse...? #2

OK, I have a confession to make.
I’ve been sick for the past whole week. It was nothing serious -- just constant coughing and sore throat. But to me, constant coughing for one whole week with no sign of recovery is something totally unusual -- something never happened before.

Unfortunately last week was my busy week; I had both daytime and night-time work back to back every day. No time to go to the hospital…(well, I wouldn’t have gone anyway even if I had time). All I did was feeding me with nutritious meals and trying all the common cold remedies I could think of, which did not make my symptoms any better. Finally, yesterday I gave up and bought the cheapest cough suppressant at the nearest drug store. Usually I’d rather stay away from the stuff with high codeine content, but no other choice this time… I got tired of coughing.

Anyway, this morning I woke up still coughing a lot, and thought about what kind of special nutritious food I could feed myself with. Then I realized that I was feeling like nice, hearty seafood soup.

So, here it is.


Bouillabaisse...?

This was my supper tonight. I don’t know if seafood is good for coughing (-- the only thing I remember is that my grandma boiled lobster shells and made me drink the soup when I had the mumps), but I felt like eating this today, so maybe there was a reason… or maybe not. Oh, well.

For dessert, I made blueberry tarts to finish up the leftover frozen blueberries from the white wine jelly I made the other day.

If I would be still coughing a lot tomorrow morning, I would go see a doctor.


Categories:

10 comments:

ChroniclesofChaos said...

Hey there Obachan...

Sorry to hear about the irritating cough. I had that for a long time as well and I was mentally and physically tired out by the time I got rid of it.

I'm unsure if you have Luo Han Guo over there but somehow those seem to work on certain types of cough.

If you are able to get it, this is what you do:
1) Wash dried Fruit (1 LuoHanGuo is enough. The dried version is the same size as the fresh ones, just brown in colour and without juices)
2) Break it into chunks
3) Boil chunks in approx.1.5 - 2 litres of water
4) Turn off stove and simmer for about 20 mins then drink.
* Store in fridge if you can't finish it but try to cook enough for each day's use and repeat. You shd see results after 2-3 days.

Hope that helps! Take care of yrself alright?

Tickles

ChroniclesofChaos said...

Sorry... forget to add this link earlier of what it looks like:

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/luohanguo.htm

Tickles

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how you feel, Obachan. I used to have dry, irritating cough that won't go away for weeks. Once I had dry cough for over 8 weeks! Switched doctors and medicine, but it didn't work. In the end, I just watched what I ate. No fried food, cold drinks and chicken (Chicken? Don't ask me why, but colleagues told me to avoid it) and ate less sugar/sweet stuff, it worked for me. Take good care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery! *Hugs*

Anonymous said...

Aaah...I hate those types of coughs. Currently I have a bit of a irritating cough at the moment too ;_;

I used to take Robitussin cough syrup. But now I've switched to Nin Jion Pei Pa Koa. It's a Chinese herbal medicine that is absolutely yummy. To tell you the truth I don't know how effective it is, but I always jump at the chance to eat it!

It's one of those cure-all medicines, even for hangovers I think. Actually I think I'll have some now >:D

The Chinese say prawns are not good for recovery, because they are "poisonous". Which kind of makes sense as they are bottom feeders with high cholestrol content...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I spelt that wrongly. It's Nin *Jiom* Pei Pa Koa.

There's an informative article on it here.
It's a very natural remedy~~

And my (now finished) spoonful of pei pa koa was absolutely yummy ;)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Obachan, I do hope that you'll soon feel better!

Anyway, your supper looked very fine and healthy!

Valentina said...

Sorry to hear that you have not been well. Your bouillabaisse looks beautiful and delicious Not to mention the delicately beautiful blueberry tarts in the background.
Look after yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon obachan! Getting over a cold takes a bit of time. Try to relax and sleep more so your body can mend itself. ^_~

Your dinner looked great and I loved those little tarts - they're so cute! ^^

obachan said...

Thank you for your kind comments, dear readers. :D I went to the hospital today and I was given a generous amount of antibiotics, but what I eat and drink must be very important for my fast recovery, so your comments are helping. And knowing so many people caring about me really makes me feel good. Love you all.

ticklesbellyflops
Thanks for your kind comment and information. I guess it is what we call 羅漢果 in Japan. Unfortunately I can’t get the fruit (fresh or dried) here, but at most of the drugstores or supermarkets around here, I see sugar substitute made from the fruit. It’s supposed to be a very healthy sweetener.

skyjuice7
Thank you. I really think I should watch what I eat and drink. Maybe I should go for yogurt rather than ice cream?

anonymous commenter
Oh, you are coughing, too? Hope it doesn’t get worse. Yummy herbal medicine sounds very interesting… when I hear “herbal medicine” I automatically think about something bitter.
Yeah, I heard about the cholesterol in prawns… maybe that’s why my grandma used only the shells for me and the rest of the family took care of the cholesterol rich part… How nice…!!

rosa
Thank you. The supper was good.
The good thing is that I have a very good appetite even with this irritating cough.

valentina
Thanks. The juice from the frozen blueberries turned the custard cream into rather dirty purple, so I put them behind the seafood soup when taking the photo.

tea
Thank you. Yeah, I’m glad that the tarts looked nice in the photo.

FooDcrazEE said...

dont think the soup will help much in ur cough but its comfort food...