Sunday, February 03, 2008

Home-made Taco Shells and Fresh Tomato Salsa

Home-made Salsa. (Next time I'll definitely go for a store-bought one...)

I crave Mexican food once in a while, and for some reason, it's usually on Saturday. (The post from 2005 was posted on Sunday, but the dinner was made on the night before.) I wonder why. Maybe it has something to do with the way I spent many Saturday nights in the U.S. more than 10 years ago? You know, Taco hell, coors light and Saturday Night Live??

Now I am an obachan and my Saturday nights are a lot less exciting, but I still feel like Mexican food on some Saturday nights. And yesterday at the import food shop at the mall, I found something very tempting.

GABAN "Taco Shell Mix"

Yes. The instruction on the package said "Just add vegetable oil and water." Sounds easy. And I can actually make hard taco shells in my kitchen? Wow! I have to give it a try!


Take a look at my very first home-made hard taco shells! Unfortunately, they didn't turn out very crispy. But it was fun to make them, though I broke one of the shells when folding it.

The biggest mistake was that I forgot to buy salsa. I tried to make something similar with the ingredients I could find in my kitchen, but it was undoubtedly a bad idea. Yes, what I made tasted sour and spicy. But it just didn't taste like salsa.


Categories:

4 comments:

K and S said...

looks great, Obachan! I usually buy Kagome's salsa, a little cheaper than the imported ones.

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so impressed with the taco shells. They are so nice and thin!

Anonymous said...

Fo rmy best friend's wedding in Tokyo- I flew out with all kinds of taco shells, salsas, and cornbread mixes. She really misses Taco Bell fast food here in California. I am proud of you for making your own shells! Sometimes I buy corn tortilla's at the grocerry store, then fry them in oil, and shape them by hanging them over a spoon handle. Let's do a swap sometime, I can send you salsa's and tortillas!

obachan said...

K & S
That's the one I was going to buy, and forgot. Hahaha... I wish they had a smaller jar, because my craving for Mexican food comes only once a month or less.

Lannae
Thin? Yeah. But they were cracked here and there.

Winemakerswife
Oh Hi! Nice to hear from you.
You are such a nice friend to bring all those stuff all the way to Tokyo. Cornbread mix! That's another thing I really miss.

Hanging taco shells over a spoon handle sounds like a good idea. I 'pressed' them around the handle of a ladle while they were warm, and that was probably why they got cracked. :P